Test Set Exchange Update

drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Re: Test Set Exchange Update

Post by drcubbin »

Thank you both syo_astro and unome for your responses. I am glad we can agree about our love of SciOly and the need to expand what students need to know on tests. After writing my first exam a few years back, another coach was a bit peeved that I didn't include all components of the test that were in the manual. I didn't make that mistake again, But as you agree, unome, how nice it would be to double - or triple! - the number of topics and have students be prepared to respond to say, 10 out of the 15 topics (or 15 out of 20 or more)! So to you both, I see your points about releasing the tests, but I still vote no, but yes for expanding the parameters of each event in manual and yes to halting all test-sharing. And while we are on "little things old guys like me don't understand" ;) I know many people in this forum know each other. It would be nice to know with whom I am speaking. I like others to know who I am. I believe one of the administrators told me recently that scioly.org does not require members to do this, but (unless you are a student) it would just "be nice" to know who we are. Even a school would be nice. (I guess this shows my age as well).
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

drcubbin wrote:Thank you both syo_astro and unome for your responses. I am glad we can agree about our love of SciOly and the need to expand what students need to know on tests. After writing my first exam a few years back, another coach was a bit peeved that I didn't include all components of the test that were in the manual. I didn't make that mistake again, But as you agree, unome, how nice it would be to double - or triple! - the number of topics and have students be prepared to respond to say, 10 out of the 15 topics (or 15 out of 20 or more)! So to you both, I see your points about releasing the tests, but I still vote no, but yes for expanding the parameters of each event in manual and yes to halting all test-sharing. And while we are on "little things old guys like me don't understand" ;) I know many people in this forum know each other. It would be nice to know with whom I am speaking. I like others to know who I am. I believe one of the administrators told me recently that scioly.org does not require members to do this, but (unless you are a student) it would just "be nice" to know who we are. Even a school would be nice. (I guess this shows my age as well).
One of the more interesting trends I've noticed is the major shift over the last 15-20 years away from "internet identity is separate from real-life identify". That still seems to hold true in some areas (e.g. Reddit) but overall it seems like the concept is less common. The OBB archive was really interesting to read, given that it spans roughly 10-20 years ago - the shift is very noticeable.

I didn't really make my identity known on here until everyone already kind of knew. That said, on here I think it's pretty easy to find out who people are, or at the very least what school they're from.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
TheChiScientist
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

Unome wrote:
drcubbin wrote:Thank you both syo_astro and unome for your responses. I am glad we can agree about our love of SciOly and the need to expand what students need to know on tests. After writing my first exam a few years back, another coach was a bit peeved that I didn't include all components of the test that were in the manual. I didn't make that mistake again, But as you agree, unome, how nice it would be to double - or triple! - the number of topics and have students be prepared to respond to say, 10 out of the 15 topics (or 15 out of 20 or more)! So to you both, I see your points about releasing the tests, but I still vote no, but yes for expanding the parameters of each event in manual and yes to halting all test-sharing. And while we are on "little things old guys like me don't understand" ;) I know many people in this forum know each other. It would be nice to know with whom I am speaking. I like others to know who I am. I believe one of the administrators told me recently that scioly.org does not require members to do this, but (unless you are a student) it would just "be nice" to know who we are. Even a school would be nice. (I guess this shows my age as well).
One of the more interesting trends I've noticed is the major shift over the last 15-20 years away from "internet identity is separate from real-life identify". That still seems to hold true in some areas (e.g. Reddit) but overall it seems like the concept is less common. The OBB archive was really interesting to read, given that it spans roughly 10-20 years ago - the shift is very noticeable.

I didn't really make my identity known on here until everyone already kind of knew. That said, on here I think it's pretty easy to find out who people are, or at the very least what school they're from.
Well, I was hesitant to mark what school I came from at first but then I met quite a few others from SciOly that love SciOly as much as me and it kinda changed my view on the whole identity thing by seeing others I could relate to. Besides, it's not too hard to figure out who I am if you meet me in person at an invite. :P (Intentionally or by mistake :lol: )
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

drcubbin wrote:...I know many people in this forum know each other. It would be nice to know with whom I am speaking. I like others to know who I am. I believe one of the administrators told me recently that scioly.org does not require members to do this, but (unless you are a student) it would just "be nice" to know who we are...
That's fair, I just don't feel like updating my signature and figured people ask if they want to know. I think it comes from the (illusion of) anonymity online, which is why I hesitate to fuss about it. As Unome said, probably people can figure out stuff about me searching my posts or asking around, but it's true asking directly is way more straightforward.

Answer (hopefully sufficient): I'm a former competitor -> graduate student studying astrophysics at University of Rochester now (NYS wooh!). I help with Astro in various ways, help with SSSS and check the Astro thread on the forums. Helped with other events in the past...but now am busy and Astro is the easiest for me to give help with.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
drcubbin
Division: B

Post by drcubbin »

syo_astro wrote:
drcubbin wrote:...I know many people in this forum know each other. It would be nice to know with whom I am speaking. I like others to know who I am. I believe one of the administrators told me recently that scioly.org does not require members to do this, but (unless you are a student) it would just "be nice" to know who we are...
That's fair, I just don't feel like updating my signature and figured people ask if they want to know. I think it comes from the (illusion of) anonymity online, which is why I hesitate to fuss about it. As Unome said, probably people can figure out stuff about me searching my posts or asking around, but it's true asking directly is way more straightforward.

Answer (hopefully sufficient): I'm a former competitor -> graduate student studying astrophysics at University of Rochester now (NYS wooh!). I help with Astro in various ways, help with SSSS and check the Astro thread on the forums. Helped with other events in the past...but now am busy and Astro is the easiest for me to give help with.
Thank you, Astro. It does help me to know if I am speaking with an 11 year-old 6th grader, a HS competitor or a knowledgeable graduate such as yourself. Much appreciated. School affiliation helps to let me know if the person is coming from some level of success (and understanding what it takes to be successful) or if they are first year competitors. The anonymity part? I have never understood the need for it. And maybe it's just an old man thing, but I do speak differently with a middle-school student than I do with a college grad... and listen differently, too ;)

Return to “Announcements”