Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pictures, Videos, and Scores

Post by 4Head » February 28th, 2017, 11:47 am

Unome wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:
4Head wrote: Yes
Wow, that's incredible! However based on past results Mentor is typically very far ahead of other teams, so the winning nationals score could be considerably lower if they don't make it.
...their entire vehicle fits through a 5 cm gap?
Their coach, as far as I know, interprets the rules as it being legal to knock the cans aside.
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome » February 28th, 2017, 12:16 pm

4Head wrote:
Unome wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote: Wow, that's incredible! However based on past results Mentor is typically very far ahead of other teams, so the winning nationals score could be considerably lower if they don't make it.
Their coach, as far as I know, interprets the rules as it being legal to knock the cans aside.
Ah ok. I assume they have a backup plan? (have you seen how much they can score without knocking them?)
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

dcambrid
State: MI

Post by dcambrid » February 28th, 2017, 12:47 pm

4Head wrote:
Unome wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote: Wow, that's incredible! However based on past results Mentor is typically very far ahead of other teams, so the winning nationals score could be considerably lower if they don't make it.
When you read the rules, it says the bonus is the distance between the cans before the run and there is no penalty for hitting the cans. So as long as you go between them you can push them apart with your vehicle and apparently this is the approach for many teams.

Unome

Post by Unome » February 28th, 2017, 1:24 pm

dcambrid wrote:
4Head wrote:
Unome wrote: ...their entire vehicle fits through a 5 cm gap?
When you read the rules, it says the bonus is the distance between the cans before the run and there is no penalty for hitting the cans. So as long as you go between them you can push them apart with your vehicle and apparently this is the approach for many teams.
It's still rather risky, since you'd have to successfully push them apart and remain on course enough to not cancel out the 5 or so extra points from going so close. I'd be rather surprised if they didn't have a backup plan in case the cans turned out to be too heavy for them to push apart.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ » February 28th, 2017, 2:10 pm

Unome wrote:
dcambrid wrote:
4Head wrote: Their coach, as far as I know, interprets the rules as it being legal to knock the cans aside.
It's still rather risky, since you'd have to successfully push them apart and remain on course enough to not cancel out the 5 or so extra points from going so close. I'd be rather surprised if they didn't have a backup plan in case the cans turned out to be too heavy for them to push apart.
Actually it's probably more like 2 extra points since every 5cm for can bonus is equivalent to one point (or one cm of accuracy) meaning that if they set the cans 15cm apart they would only lose 2 points. I find it hard to believe that it's possible to push apart the cans and gain less than 1-2cm error, especially if the cans are more heavily weighted. A backup strategy is definately a good idea for teams using this tactic.
Innovation =/= success

4Head

Post by 4Head » February 28th, 2017, 2:17 pm

Bazinga+ wrote:
Unome wrote:
dcambrid wrote:
Actually it's probably more like 2 extra points since every 5cm for can bonus is equivalent to one point (or one cm of accuracy) meaning that if they set the cans 15cm apart they would only lose 2 points. I find it hard to believe that it's possible to push apart the cans and gain less than 1-2cm error, especially if the cans are more heavily weighted. A backup strategy is definately a good idea for teams using this tactic.
Definitely. For consistent runs, the car would have to be very, very heavy.

4Head

Post by 4Head » February 28th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Unome wrote:
4Head wrote:
Ah ok. I assume they have a backup plan? (have you seen how much they can score without knocking them?)
I haven't.

Private Wang Fire
State: OH

Post by Private Wang Fire » March 1st, 2017, 10:47 am

Unome wrote:
4Head wrote:
I believe mentor is capable of double digit negative scores even without knocking the cans apart, so they are way ahead of us (me at least for sure).
MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18

Unome

Post by Unome » March 1st, 2017, 11:39 am

Private Wang Fire wrote:
Unome wrote:
4Head wrote: Their coach, as far as I know, interprets the rules as it being legal to knock the cans aside.
I believe mentor is capable of double digit negative scores even without knocking the cans apart, so they are way ahead of us (me at least for sure).
Double digit negative, while impressive, imo is nowhere near as difficult as successfully knocking the cans apart and keeping a good distance score. 3 sec, 4 cm off, and 25 cm bonus is enough for double digit (which, I agree is difficult, but I'd expect to see several of these at Nationals).
Userpage

dcrxcode
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN

Post by dcrxcode » March 18th, 2017, 8:45 pm

5th in Indiana with a score of about 15 (12.2 distance score and ~3s time score).

Return to “Electric Vehicle C”