Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pictures, Videos, and Scores

Post by Bazinga+ »

Unome wrote:
Private Wang Fire wrote:
Unome wrote: Ah ok. I assume they have a backup plan? (have you seen how much they can score without knocking them?)
I believe mentor is capable of double digit negative scores even without knocking the cans apart, so they are way ahead of us (me at least for sure).
Double digit negative, while impressive, imo is nowhere near as difficult as successfully knocking the cans apart and keeping a good distance score. 3 sec, 4 cm off, and 25 cm bonus is enough for double digit (which, I agree is difficult, but I'd expect to see several of these at Nationals).
Several? I'd expect at least 10.
Innovation =/= success
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Bazinga+ wrote:
Unome wrote:
Private Wang Fire wrote:
I believe mentor is capable of double digit negative scores even without knocking the cans apart, so they are way ahead of us (me at least for sure).
Double digit negative, while impressive, imo is nowhere near as difficult as successfully knocking the cans apart and keeping a good distance score. 3 sec, 4 cm off, and 25 cm bonus is enough for double digit (which, I agree is difficult, but I'd expect to see several of these at Nationals).
10? No way. Maybe 10 vehicles capable of double digit negative, but there is no way 10 teams actually achieve it. Id say maybe top 6
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Bazinga+ »

windu34 wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:
Unome wrote: Double digit negative, while impressive, imo is nowhere near as difficult as successfully knocking the cans apart and keeping a good distance score. 3 sec, 4 cm off, and 25 cm bonus is enough for double digit (which, I agree is difficult, but I'd expect to see several of these at Nationals).
10? No way. Maybe 10 vehicles capable of double digit negative, but there is no way 10 teams actually achieve it. Id say maybe top 6
I think by Nationals very many teams will be capable of such a score as more build bonus designs, so 10 is a safe bet.
Innovation =/= success
4Head

Post by 4Head »

Bazinga+ wrote:
windu34 wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote: Several? I'd expect at least 10.
I think by Nationals very many teams will be capable of such a score as more build bonus designs, so 10 is a safe bet.
imo 10 is stretching it. Achieving a double negative score is hard. Doing it at nationals where there is a potential 301 different target distances is harder. I'd agree more with windu's estimate of 10% of the teams doing it than 16.66%.
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
BroNiSciGuy

Post by BroNiSciGuy »

NY States Results:

Distance: 11.7 meters
Place - Bonus Distance - Final Score
1st - 46.0 cm - -5.811
2nd - 55.0 cm - -3.538
3rd - 30.0 cm - 1.318
4th - 31.0 cm - 4.989
5th - no - 6.379
6th - no - 9.533
7th - no - 10.419
8th - no - 10.667
9th - no - 12.478
10th - no - 15.795

1st 22 vehicles scored under 30. Some of them did the bonus, but their distances were too far.
Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Regional Site Coordinator, Nassau West, NY
State Event Supervisor, NY
National Event Supervisor, USA
mnoga
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

At the Silicon Valley Regional yesterday the supervisor set the distance at 10.0m, but somehow make a mistake and placed the midpoint at 5.5m and set the actual distance at 10.5. We caught their mistake regarding the midpoint, but the supervisor would not change the midpoint to 5.0m, and we were forced to run through cans at 5.5m. We did manage to score approximately zero on the 2nd run as we were approx 8cm from the target with a speed of 3 seconds and bonus of 11. We did finish 1st.

We did not realize that the actual distance was off by 0.5m until later when we starting assessing why we were 0.45m short on the 1st run and observing that another quality team running straight (without cans) was 0.6m short on their first run. Embarrassing that this event could be run so badly.
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

mnoga wrote:At the Silicon Valley Regional yesterday the supervisor set the distance at 10.0m, but somehow make a mistake and placed the midpoint at 5.5m and set the actual distance at 10.5. We caught their mistake regarding the midpoint, but the supervisor would not change the midpoint to 5.0m, and we were forced to run through cans at 5.5m. We did manage to score approximately zero on the 2nd run as we were approx 8cm from the target with a speed of 3 seconds and bonus of 11. We did finish 1st.

We did not realize that the actual distance was off by 0.5m until later when we starting assessing why we were 0.45m short on the 1st run and observing that another quality team running straight (without cans) was 0.6m short on their first run. Embarrassing that this event could be run so badly.
Wow, that's terrible. I hope it's run better at states! Congrats on doing as well as you did, though :)
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Bazinga+ »

Here is my vehicle from this year which is able to consistently score around -14 to -15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKC8MYR ... e=youtu.be
Innovation =/= success
cubes
State: NC

Post by cubes »

I am using a servo from an rc car for the steering of my EV but it seems that just 1 degree in my Arduino program is enough to change the car from swerving to the left to the right. Are there any tips for controlling the direction of the EV using rc steering servos?
4Head

Post by 4Head »

cubes wrote:I am using a servo from an rc car for the steering of my EV but it seems that just 1 degree in my Arduino program is enough to change the car from swerving to the left to the right. Are there any tips for controlling the direction of the EV using rc steering servos?
This is what I did during invites. from my experience you have 2 options (I'm assuming you're doing the bonus if you're trying to steer):

1. travel straight towards the cans and change the servo angle during the run to turn back towards the track (I did this and would not recommend, it is hard to do accurately).

2. If your servo isn't geared down already, gear it way down so you can utilize more of the servo's range of motion for accuracy and torque (a 90 degree change on the servo might be a 5 degree angle change actually, for example)
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion

Return to “Electric Vehicle C”