Question about rules regarding length and width design of the electric vehicle?

Burtrell017
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Question about rules regarding length and width design of the electric vehicle?

Post by Burtrell017 »

Hello there is a rule that requires the tires and treads to fit within 30 cm x 60 cm. Is it ok if the axles are wider than 30 cm if the wheels are within 30 cm. Is the length supposed to be 30 cm or is it supposed to 60 cm.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Question about rules regarding length and width design of the electric vehicle?

Post by windu34 »

Burtrell017 wrote:Hello there is a rule that requires the tires and treads to fit within 30 cm x 60 cm. Is it ok if the axles are wider than 30 cm if the wheels are within 30 cm. Is the length supposed to be 30 cm or is it supposed to 60 cm.
Specifies wheels for a reason. Length is 60
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Cammaster
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Question about rules regarding length and width design of the electric vehicle?

Post by Cammaster »

Burtrell017 wrote:Hello there is a rule that requires the tires and treads to fit within 30 cm x 60 cm. Is it ok if the axles are wider than 30 cm if the wheels are within 30 cm. Is the length supposed to be 30 cm or is it supposed to 60 cm.
I believe that all parts of your electric vehicle must be in the 30 by 60. But the point of getting the bonus is trying to get the cans closer together so you get more points, and if you have a narrower car you can accomplish that, I personally see no reason a car should be 30 cm wide. Also the length is 60 cm.
Grand Haven High School Science Olympiad

Dank Memester

LET'S GO BUCS!

Hoping for Nationals in Colorado!

Check out my profile at Cammaster
4Head

Post by 4Head »

Cammaster wrote:
I believe that all parts of your electric vehicle must be in the 30 by 60. But the point of getting the bonus is trying to get the cans closer together so you get more points, and if you have a narrower car you can accomplish that, I personally see no reason a car should be 30 cm wide. Also the length is 60 cm.
windu replied and I believe his answer is correct. The rules explicitly state that the wheelbase needs to fit in those dimensions, not everything else.
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Cammaster wrote:
If you are not going for the bonus, maximizing wheel base width is actually beneficial
Cammaster

Post by Cammaster »

windu34 wrote:
Cammaster wrote:
If you are not going for the bonus, maximizing wheel base width is actually beneficial
Of course, but the bonus will probably be a great factor between 1st and 20th.

Dank Memester

LET'S GO BUCS!

Cammaster

Post by Cammaster »

4Head wrote:
Cammaster wrote:
windu replied and I believe his answer is correct. The rules explicitly state that the wheelbase needs to fit in those dimensions, not everything else.
I just re-looked at the rules, and I can see it being interpreted that way. Good loophole.

Dank Memester

LET'S GO BUCS!

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

Wouldn't say it's a loophole. I've seen a lot of EV/Scrambler/Mousetrap/Gravity Vehicle designs over the years that have parts of the vehicle that extend outside of the wheelbase.

If the intent of the rules was to restrict the vehicles to be smaller than that size, it would say so explicitly (probably something like "the entire vehicle must fit in a box x cm by y cm by z cm").
fn2187
State: GA

Post by fn2187 »

When the rules state that "wheel/thread in the ready-to-run configuration must fit in 30 x 60 cm space," does that mean the ends of the wheel must fit in that box or just the wheel axles?
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

fn2187 wrote:When the rules state that "wheel/thread in the ready-to-run configuration must fit in 30 x 60 cm space," does that mean the ends of the wheel must fit in that box or just the wheel axles?
Based on your quote, the entirety of the wheels has to fit

Return to “Electric Vehicle C”