Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Electric Vehicle C

Post by Bazinga+ »

markuswso17 wrote:
4Head wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote: Oh yeah I know who you're talking about. However they do it by smashing the cans, which, as windu mentioned, is risky and depends on the cans' weight. Also the team you're talking about isn't getting very good accuracy, so scores around -16 at best.
Is this Mentor? For the record, at OH states they were no longer the only team splitting the cans.
How many teams in Ohio split through the cans and how successful were they?
As far as I know, nobody is going for splitting the cans because it adds too much error for it to be worth it.
Innovation =/= success
4Head

Post by 4Head »

Bazinga+ wrote:
markuswso17 wrote:
4Head wrote: Is this Mentor? For the record, at OH states they were no longer the only team splitting the cans.
How many teams in Ohio split through the cans and how successful were they?
As far as I know, nobody is going for splitting the cans because it adds too much error for it to be worth it.
I think that's what will happen as well, Mason had a crazy good run at states without splitting, so it's evident that bonus is not a huge factor when teams are close.
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
MIScioly1
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by MIScioly1 »

My team was successful in splitting cans, but unfortunately, at States we hit the photogate timers at the 0.5m mark because our vehicle turned first and then went straight. While our team went back later to test without the photogate timers and was very successful, we were only able to get participation points (which meant a 50th place) because we couldn't fix the issue within the 8 minutes. We were consistently getting scores of -10 to -15 at our high school.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board
markuswso17
State: VA

Post by markuswso17 »

MIScioly1 wrote:My team was successful in splitting cans, but unfortunately, at States we hit the photogate timers at the 0.5m mark because our vehicle turned first and then went straight. While our team went back later to test without the photogate timers and was very successful, we were only able to get participation points (which meant a 50th place) because we couldn't fix the issue within the 8 minutes. We were consistently getting scores of -10 to -15 at our high school.
What was the average distance you were from the target and how consistent was it?
Alumni
Fairfax High School Captain 2017
Electric Vehicle Nationals 4th place 2017
Email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://tinyurl.com/markuswso17FB
2016-2017 Events: Electric Vehicle, Forensics, Game On, Robot Arm
MIScioly1

Post by MIScioly1 »

markuswso17 wrote:
MIScioly1 wrote:My team was successful in splitting cans, but unfortunately, at States we hit the photogate timers at the 0.5m mark because our vehicle turned first and then went straight. While our team went back later to test without the photogate timers and was very successful, we were only able to get participation points (which meant a 50th place) because we couldn't fix the issue within the 8 minutes. We were consistently getting scores of -10 to -15 at our high school.
What was the average distance you were from the target and how consistent was it?
We usually ended up about 5cm or less away from the target, and it was quite consistent. It was really unfortunate when we only got participation points at states, because the people who built it worked tirelessly on it - I think it would've been pretty much a guaranteed 1st if the photogate timers were 5cm further apart.
markuswso17

Post by markuswso17 »

MIScioly1 wrote:
markuswso17 wrote:
We usually ended up about 5cm or less away from the target, and it was quite consistent. It was really unfortunate when we only got participation points at states, because the people who built it worked tirelessly on it - I think it would've been pretty much a guaranteed 1st if the photogate timers were 5cm further apart.
Did you go to any invitationals?
Alumni
MIScioly1

Post by MIScioly1 »

markuswso17 wrote:
MIScioly1 wrote:
markuswso17 wrote: What was the average distance you were from the target and how consistent was it?
Did you go to any invitationals?
Yes but we built a new vehicle after regionals because the initial one was very inconsistent. None of the invitational competitions used photogate timers either. We had 6 weeks between regionals and states so we had plenty of time.
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

Anyone know how many vehicles utilized a caliper for steering at Nationals?
Innovation =/= success
4Head

Post by 4Head »

Bazinga+ wrote:Anyone know how many vehicles utilized a caliper for steering at Nationals?
All of them.
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
markuswso17

Post by markuswso17 »

What are some interesting design ideas you thought of this year? I know some attempted to plow between the cans, and there was a joke about stacking the cans and sorting it with a specially shaped plow so you would have a negative can bonus. What other interesting methods were there?
Alumni

Return to “Electric Vehicle C”