Electric Vehicle C

GoldDigger
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Electric Vehicle C

Post by GoldDigger »

Bazinga+ wrote:
markuswso17 wrote:What do you guys think top 3 National scores will be? Also what diy up think is the width of the thinnest vehicle at nationals?
I know somebody who has a very successful vehicle which is around 4cm thick (I think they go for a 6-7 cm bonus). Expecting them to win first with about -18 or -19 score, and 2nd and 3rd to be around -15 or -16.
I know a guy who knows a guy who knows another guy who is getting a 2cm bonus.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

GoldDigger wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:
markuswso17 wrote:What do you guys think top 3 National scores will be? Also what diy up think is the width of the thinnest vehicle at nationals?
I know somebody who has a very successful vehicle which is around 4cm thick (I think they go for a 6-7 cm bonus). Expecting them to win first with about -18 or -19 score, and 2nd and 3rd to be around -15 or -16.
Smashing cans is pretty risky though. Hope I get to see it
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

GoldDigger wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:
Oh yeah I know who you're talking about. However they do it by smashing the cans, which, as windu mentioned, is risky and depends on the cans' weight. Also the team you're talking about isn't getting very good accuracy, so scores around -16 at best.
Innovation =/= success
4Head

Post by 4Head »

Bazinga+ wrote:
GoldDigger wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote: I know somebody who has a very successful vehicle which is around 4cm thick (I think they go for a 6-7 cm bonus). Expecting them to win first with about -18 or -19 score, and 2nd and 3rd to be around -15 or -16.
Oh yeah I know who you're talking about. However they do it by smashing the cans, which, as windu mentioned, is risky and depends on the cans' weight. Also the team you're talking about isn't getting very good accuracy, so scores around -16 at best.
Is this Mentor? For the record, at OH states they were no longer the only team splitting the cans.
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
markuswso17
State: VA

Post by markuswso17 »

4Head wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:
GoldDigger wrote: I know a guy who knows a guy who knows another guy who is getting a 2cm bonus.
Is this Mentor? For the record, at OH states they were no longer the only team splitting the cans.
How many teams in Ohio split through the cans and how successful were they?
Alumni
Fairfax High School Captain 2017
Electric Vehicle Nationals 4th place 2017
Email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://tinyurl.com/markuswso17FB
2016-2017 Events: Electric Vehicle, Forensics, Game On, Robot Arm
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

markuswso17 wrote:
4Head wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote: Oh yeah I know who you're talking about. However they do it by smashing the cans, which, as windu mentioned, is risky and depends on the cans' weight. Also the team you're talking about isn't getting very good accuracy, so scores around -16 at best.
As far as I know, nobody is going for splitting the cans because it adds too much error for it to be worth it.
Innovation =/= success
4Head

Post by 4Head »

Bazinga+ wrote:
markuswso17 wrote:
4Head wrote: Is this Mentor? For the record, at OH states they were no longer the only team splitting the cans.
As far as I know, nobody is going for splitting the cans because it adds too much error for it to be worth it.
I think that's what will happen as well, Mason had a crazy good run at states without splitting, so it's evident that bonus is not a huge factor when teams are close.
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
MIScioly1
State: MI

Post by MIScioly1 »

My team was successful in splitting cans, but unfortunately, at States we hit the photogate timers at the 0.5m mark because our vehicle turned first and then went straight. While our team went back later to test without the photogate timers and was very successful, we were only able to get participation points (which meant a 50th place) because we couldn't fix the issue within the 8 minutes. We were consistently getting scores of -10 to -15 at our high school.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board
markuswso17
State: VA

Post by markuswso17 »

MIScioly1 wrote:My team was successful in splitting cans, but unfortunately, at States we hit the photogate timers at the 0.5m mark because our vehicle turned first and then went straight. While our team went back later to test without the photogate timers and was very successful, we were only able to get participation points (which meant a 50th place) because we couldn't fix the issue within the 8 minutes. We were consistently getting scores of -10 to -15 at our high school.
What was the average distance you were from the target and how consistent was it?
Alumni
Fairfax High School Captain 2017
Electric Vehicle Nationals 4th place 2017
Email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://tinyurl.com/markuswso17FB
2016-2017 Events: Electric Vehicle, Forensics, Game On, Robot Arm
MIScioly1
State: MI

Post by MIScioly1 »

markuswso17 wrote:
MIScioly1 wrote:My team was successful in splitting cans, but unfortunately, at States we hit the photogate timers at the 0.5m mark because our vehicle turned first and then went straight. While our team went back later to test without the photogate timers and was very successful, we were only able to get participation points (which meant a 50th place) because we couldn't fix the issue within the 8 minutes. We were consistently getting scores of -10 to -15 at our high school.
What was the average distance you were from the target and how consistent was it?
We usually ended up about 5cm or less away from the target, and it was quite consistent. It was really unfortunate when we only got participation points at states, because the people who built it worked tirelessly on it - I think it would've been pretty much a guaranteed 1st if the photogate timers were 5cm further apart.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board

Return to “Electric Vehicle C”