Electric Vehicle C

blanks
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Electric Vehicle C

Post by blanks »

RJohnson wrote:Yes, you can buy them here :http://store.soinc.org/c-23-materials-f ... tions.aspx. Or you may be able to get them from your coach.
Thank you!
JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Post by JonB »

Unome wrote:
RJohnson wrote:Yes, you can buy them here :http://store.soinc.org/c-23-materials-f ... tions.aspx. Or you may be able to get them from your coach.
Wondering; how long does it usually take to order them directly from the store? Our state organization is taking a lot of time with mailing, and competitors (especially new people) are losing interest.

Depends on how you ship them. I received within a week.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Somewhat off-topic question: what is the rotation for the vehicle events in each division usually like? (do we get Gravity Vehicle next year?)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
rockgirl365

Post by rockgirl365 »

Finally I have a copy of rules for EV!! The tracks will be cool. Since lowest score wins with the formula (Run Time + Distance Score - Bonus + Penalties), how important is speed then?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

rockgirl365 wrote:Finally I have a copy of rules for EV!! The tracks will be cool. Since lowest score wins with the formula (Run Time + Distance Score - Bonus + Penalties), how important is speed then?
If I remember correctly, speed is less important than last year, both because it is weighted less, and also because of the new rule against going backward (which for good teams tended to make distance scores near-perfect last year, since you could just overshoot and then reverse).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

Unome wrote:
rockgirl365 wrote:Finally I have a copy of rules for EV!! The tracks will be cool. Since lowest score wins with the formula (Run Time + Distance Score - Bonus + Penalties), how important is speed then?
If I remember correctly, speed is less important than last year, both because it is weighted less, and also because of the new rule against going backward (which for good teams tended to make distance scores near-perfect last year, since you could just overshoot and then reverse).
To build on that, speed should be the least of your worries this year. A 2 second difference in error translates to 2 seconds of travel time. For perspective, at nationals the top 6 teams had 2-7 cm errors, so as long as you are in that 3-6 second range ur in great shape in that sense. The big thing this year is the bonus. It translates to about 20cm (so if someone is on the dot and someone is 20cm off and got the bonus, they tie), but it is very hard to implement well, so this will make or break the top teams.
Innovation =/= success
hqearth

Post by hqearth »

Hi!
My teammates in this event have no idea where to start. I was wondering where would be a good place to begin and what materials to buy. I already checked out the wiki page. If anybody has any advice for people that are completely new to this event, anything would be appreciated. Thank you!
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

hqearth wrote:Hi!
My teammates in this event have no idea where to start. I was wondering where would be a good place to begin and what materials to buy. I already checked out the wiki page. If anybody has any advice for people that are completely new to this event, anything would be appreciated. Thank you!
What do you have? If you have metal, use metal. If you have wood and wood-milling machinery, use wood. I strongly believe that the material has little effect on the finished device: use what you are comfortable with. For me, that happened to be carbon fiber and 3d printed parts, but my chassis is no better that one made of wood and has no advantage (weight really doesn't matter, I prefer more weight anyways)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

hqearth wrote:Hi!
I would recommend planning out all the aspects of your design before considering the implementation. So first off decide on your counting mechanism (wing nut, stepper motor, encoder) and your steering mechanism. Then consider the implementation; which motors you want to use, which microcontroller, what kind of bearings and gears/gearing you will use, and what your base material will be (3d printed,wood, plexiglass, combination). This is just my preference, and I think it really helps complete the task efficiently and qualitatively. Good luck!
Innovation =/= success
VansBuilders
State: CA

Post by VansBuilders »

Hey guys. I am in Division C this year and one of the events I am doing is Electric Vehicle. I have heard about an Electric Vehicle kit from Ward's Science Olympiad kits. Have any of you guys ever bought the kit for Electric Vehicle? If so, is it worth buying? Please clarify asap. Thanks.

Return to “Electric Vehicle C”