Tips for a New Supervisor

dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B
Has thanked: 0

Re: Tips for a New Supervisor

Post by dholdgreve »

Balsa Man wrote:Actually, if you look at the rules, the minimum mass carried ("least possible mass scored"- rule 6a) that can be scored is the "load block assembly". The "load block assembly" is defined in rule 4b as load block, and eyebolt, and wingnut, and S-hook, and chain, and 5 gal bucket. Any tower that can't carry 'the assembly' is to be classified as Tier 4.
A carbon fiber arrow shaft is going to be....way lighter than eyebolt, wingnut, S-hook, chain, and bucket, so if a tower can't support it, its a Tier 4 tower. Yes, if using this tool to check height, students should place it on the tower.
Len,
I've been instructed that "eyehook" is actually 2 words... "Eye & hook" I assume that eyebolt and wingnut probably are too... I think you are OK with hyphenating the S-hook though... LOLOLOLOL
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

Yeah, I saw that, but I used the correct form, and the form used in the rules- "eyebolt." :oops:
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
baker
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by baker »

arasanantonio

Post by arasanantonio »

As a tower builder, I've experienced this a lot, and the tip I have for you is make the competitor comfortable where they are. Make them laugh, and especially don't make them nervous. Always ask if they're a new competitior, as I already have 2 years of experience with setting up and I still need guidance, let alone a completely new member. And also, make sure for every single team you tell them to put their bucket high enough. Other than that, you're gonna proctor great, just make sure you and the kids you are proctoring are having a good time.
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

arasanantonio wrote:As a tower builder, I've experienced this a lot, and the tip I have for you is make the competitor comfortable where they are. Make them laugh, and especially don't make them nervous. Always ask if they're a new competitior, as I already have 2 years of experience with setting up and I still need guidance, let alone a completely new member. And also, make sure for every single team you tell them to put their bucket high enough. Other than that, you're gonna proctor great, just make sure you and the kids you are proctoring are having a good time.
^^^I like this!!!! ^^^
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the advice! We ended up being able to use another team's apparatus, and while it didn't have an automatic dispenser, most teams didn't have too much of an issue with the time limit (especially since we had a lot of extra time built into the schedule).

One issue we did run into is that the loading block was actually closer to 4.85 cm x 4.85 cm, so a couple teams had trouble loading the tops of their towers, which were built for a 5.0 cm x 5.0 cm block. For this, I consulted the building event director at the invitational, and he suggested to allow teams to make adjustments to better fit the block, and this ended up working out well as both teams were able to load their towers after this.

There was another team where unfortunately, the chain got caught up in the cross-bracing of one of the sides of the tower, causing it to fail once the bucket was applied. I am not exactly sure if this was an issue with the loading apparatus itself, or just an honest mistake by the competitors, but it was still a shame because it basically tore the tower in half, and they did not have a backup (this was right after one of the teams had an issue with the loading block, so I would have allowed them to test a backup just in case it was a block issue). It was somewhat of a narrow tower, but it did seem like it would have at least placed in the top 20 of the event had it not failed so early.

Overall though, I hope we avoided any major crises. I definitely learned a lot should I ever need to proctor the event again!
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

Sounds like you did a fine job; congrats!

Just a quick word on the load block- good workaround; a potentially significant issue for competitors that designed their top dimensions so the outsides of the leg ends just fit under a 5.0 x 5.0cm block. If the block is not fully 'covering' the leg ends, you'll get pretty significant premature failure. Looking at S.O. sig fig policy, 4.85...does not meet the rules. Yeah, its only a mm (4.95 would be minimum for a 'legal' block).

Certainly not your fault; perfectly reasonable to assume that whoever was responsible for bringing block(s) had/had made 'legal' block. Ran into this years ago, that's why I always bring a 5.00 x 5.00 to any competition.

Again, congrats.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
scioly2345
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by scioly2345 »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Hey everyone,

Thanks for the advice! We ended up being able to use another team's apparatus, and while it didn't have an automatic dispenser, most teams didn't have too much of an issue with the time limit (especially since we had a lot of extra time built into the schedule).

One issue we did run into is that the loading block was actually closer to 4.85 cm x 4.85 cm, so a couple teams had trouble loading the tops of their towers, which were built for a 5.0 cm x 5.0 cm block. For this, I consulted the building event director at the invitational, and he suggested to allow teams to make adjustments to better fit the block, and this ended up working out well as both teams were able to load their towers after this.

There was another team where unfortunately, the chain got caught up in the cross-bracing of one of the sides of the tower, causing it to fail once the bucket was applied. I am not exactly sure if this was an issue with the loading apparatus itself, or just an honest mistake by the competitors, but it was still a shame because it basically tore the tower in half, and they did not have a backup (this was right after one of the teams had an issue with the loading block, so I would have allowed them to test a backup just in case it was a block issue). It was somewhat of a narrow tower, but it did seem like it would have at least placed in the top 20 of the event had it not failed so early.

Overall though, I hope we avoided any major crises. I definitely learned a lot should I ever need to proctor the event again!
Hello, may I ask what competition u supervised towers?
2016-2019 Brother Joseph Fox Latin School
2020-2022 Kellenberg Memorial High School
2022 events - Bridge, Write It Do It, Wright Stuff
God Bless and Rest In Peace Len Joeris (Balsa Man)
“for the betterment of science”
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

scioly2345 wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Hey everyone,

Hello, may I ask what competition u supervised towers?
East was at Penn last year.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
scioly2345
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by scioly2345 »

I've had my fair share of towers supervisors, some very nice and some...... well not so much. I've actually had my own sister be the moderator for towers at regionals! I had one moderator and he said he'd "tear the crap outta me" if I didn't stop putting sand in the bucket if my tower broke. Got me very nervous.

My favorite towers supervisor by far was the NY state 2017 supervisor. He was so kind to me, and he made me laugh, and asked me a lot of building questions. He was great.

This goes to show that if you supervise, and even if you're just a helper, you play a big role in the event, especially with the competitors. I've helped with moderating Robot Arm, and it really was an amazing experience. I tried to be as nice to the kids as possible. To any future event supervisors/helpers, please become familiar with the rules, and make the kids have fun. Especially building events.
2016-2019 Brother Joseph Fox Latin School
2020-2022 Kellenberg Memorial High School
2022 events - Bridge, Write It Do It, Wright Stuff
God Bless and Rest In Peace Len Joeris (Balsa Man)
“for the betterment of science”

Return to “Towers B/C”