bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Hand Load or Auto Load?

Post by bernard »

Juanyjose wrote:Missouri did auto load, and I think that might be why everyone did so bad. Pretty much everyone's tower underperformed: Pembroke got 200 points less than what I expected, Wydown got 1/2 as much (800 points less, although that might have multiple causes) and Ladue got less than 800, when they got ~1100 at regionals. Most of the towers had scores of less than 1500, which is pretty bad even for a fairly uncompetitive state.

I don't think it was because of the fact it was auto load, but because all the sand fell to the front of the bucket, where it couldn't really be effectively stabilized. Would that affect the tower, or was it just a coincidence. Any thoughts?
Pouring sand in a bucket hanging freely from a chain acts as a point load, so sand can be loaded anywhere in the bucket. If the chain is rigid to the point that the bucket tilting causes torque in the loading block, then it will apply load unevenly.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Would you guys recommend autoloading fast or slow? Or maybe slow at the beginning, then faster?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Alex-RCHS wrote:Or maybe slow at the beginning, then faster?
I would recommend exactly this (and likely most others would agree).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: CO
Has thanked: 0

Post by Balsa Man »

Unome wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:Or maybe slow at the beginning, then faster?
I would recommend exactly this (and likely most others would agree).
Yup, correct. There's been some previous discussion of this, but we've gotten so many threads, so many pages to dig through to find info. Time under load becomes a real factor when you're getting near the limits of your tower. Once its settled in with a kg or two load on it, you want to get the rest on as quickly as possible.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
Random Human
Been thanked: 0

Post by Random Human »

Alex-RCHS wrote:Would you guys recommend autoloading fast or slow? Or maybe slow at the beginning, then faster?
Check out the forum "Loading/Testing"
You will find some good stuff
Random Human - Proud (former) Science Olympian. 2015-2017
Writer of Doers
Dynamic Planet
Breaker of Towers: 16-17 Season Peak Score - 3220
Len Joeris all the way. Remember Len.
scioly2345
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Been thanked: 0

Post by scioly2345 »

Alex-RCHS wrote:Would you guys recommend autoloading fast or slow? Or maybe slow at the beginning, then faster?
I am from Div B, NY state. I'm gonna be honest, I'm shocked that most states have kids use a cup and sand, rather a lever. Especially at states. In 2017, my team ran towers at the blue dragon invitational in NY. we brought the thing (I think it's called a hopper) which u just pull a lever and the sand come out into the bucket. See, we didn't run towers at states, but personally, I think I perform better when using the hopper and not the sand and cup. At state competitions I think the competition should run a lot more smoothly, which could be more easily done with a hopper.
2016-2019 Brother Joseph Fox Latin School
2020-2022 Kellenberg Memorial High School
2022 events - Bridge, Write It Do It, Wright Stuff
God Bless and Rest In Peace Len Joeris (Balsa Man)
“for the betterment of science”

Return to “Towers B/C”