Nationals Predictions?

JZhang1
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nationals Predictions?

Post by JZhang1 »

With Nationals approaching and state tournament results coming in, anyone want to take a shot at predicting the winning efficiency this year? I don't think it's too far fetched to say that at least a couple teams will break the 4000 mark.
Ward Melville High School -> Princeton University
Dohnnovan
Division: B
State: CA

Re: Nationals Predictions?

Post by Dohnnovan »

JZhang1 wrote:With Nationals approaching and state tournament results coming in, anyone want to take a shot at predicting the winning efficiency this year? I don't think it's too far fetched to say that at least a couple teams will break the 4000 mark.
I don't know scorewise, but my prediction for 1st in B Division is Daniel Wright.
Ukiah High School '20
MattH2018

Post by MattH2018 »

JZhang1 wrote:With Nationals approaching and state tournament results coming in, anyone want to take a shot at predicting the winning efficiency this year? I don't think it's too far fetched to say that at least a couple teams will break the 4000 mark.
I think B division, 4000 is definitely possible, seeing as at NY states Murphy put up around 3800 and Gelinas around 3500 (congrats JZhang)
I don't think C div will get 4000, but you never know
JZhang1

Post by JZhang1 »

MattH2018 wrote:
I think B division, 4000 is definitely possible, seeing as at NY states Murphy put up around 3800 and Gelinas around 3500 (congrats JZhang)
I don't think C div will get 4000, but you never know
My bad, I meant div. B, but I don't see an edit button, and Thanks!
Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Raleway »

Div B hitting 4000 is not far-fetched at all: with the 3800 already popping up I can see around 3-5 teams working really hard to hit the 4000 mark

Div B maybe only 2 teams reach the 3500 threshold- too much variability and I can't see any high ranking teams going for the gold (just meaning going to the maximum design due to possibility of error occurring at competition from such a light tower)
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman
sciencepeeps
State: IL

Post by sciencepeeps »

Dohnnovan wrote:
I don't know scorewise, but my prediction for 1st in B Division is Daniel Wright.
I think DW might get first at nationals, but they were beat out by one or two teams at Regionals. In IL B, it looks like either Woodlawn or Marie Murphy could win with about 4000 (they have about the same design).
18/19 Anatomy, Boomilever, widi

17/18 region/state/nation
Anatomy (2/6/-)
Mystery Architecture (-/2/-)
Towers (3/2/3)
Invitationals: 38
Regionals:11
State:6
Nationals:1
scioly2345
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by scioly2345 »

At NY States, how did Gelinas and Murphy hit those efficiencies? Self made wood? Like that's amazing :D my tower barely hit 1000. Also I switched glue in the middle of the year right before regionals and I went downhill from there.
2016-2019 Brother Joseph Fox Latin School
2020-2022 Kellenberg Memorial High School
2022 events - Bridge, Write It Do It, Wright Stuff
God Bless and Rest In Peace Len Joeris (Balsa Man)
“for the betterment of science”
Dohnnovan
State: CA

Post by Dohnnovan »

scioly2345 wrote:At NY States, how did Gelinas and Murphy hit those efficiencies? Self made wood? Like that's amazing :D my tower barely hit 1000. Also I switched glue in the middle of the year right before regionals and I went downhill from there.
Read through all of the Towers B/C section. There are a lot of factors that make a good tower and it all starts there.
Ukiah High School '20
Juanyjose

Post by Juanyjose »

Dohnnovan wrote:
scioly2345 wrote:At NY States, how did Gelinas and Murphy hit those efficiencies? Self made wood? Like that's amazing :D my tower barely hit 1000. Also I switched glue in the middle of the year right before regionals and I went downhill from there.
Read through all of the Towers B/C section. There are a lot of factors that make a good tower and it all starts there.
Keep in mind, also, that once you get to around 4 grams, the slightest change in the weight of you tower very drastically affects your efficiency. Not to take any merit off of Gelinas or Murphy, though, as I cannot even dream of those efficiencies.

Think about it: Let's assume the tower got the bonus. If it held everything (unlikely?) it would weigh 4.25 grams. If it held 10 kg, it would weigh 3 grams... if it held 5, it would weigh 1.75 grams... that's pretty insane (to me anyways).

How much do you guys think the tower will hold? My guess is 10kg or just shy of that, and it would go for the bonus, so it would weigh around 3 grams.
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

I'm going to guess that of the top 5 towers at Nationals, none will go qualify for the bonus. All will be just barely outside of the 20 CM box, all will weigh less than 5 grams, the top 3 will carry full load, 4th place will carry 12.65 KG, 5th place will carry 13.7 KG, but will be heavier than 4th place. We may well see one of these towers under 4 grams. I think 2 of these towers will score above 4,000, the other 4 will be over 3500.... My crystal ball just blew a fuse...
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"

Return to “Towers B/C”