scioly2345
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wood Glue Types?

Post by scioly2345 »

At the start of the season I started with just regular elmers wood glue. Then right before regionals I switched to titebond, and had a major downfall. I went from a 1505-1526 at invitationals to a 787-838 at regionals and states. Could my glue switch be why? Or could it have been my wood quality and density? Or just my pure building skill? And also, I need to know what glue to purchase next. I heard titebond 3 wood glue is pretty strong. Should I go with that? Or should I go back to elmers? And what site has the best balsa? I've only been doing towers for a year, and my season is now over and I'm gonna experiment with a lot of designs and wood and glue over the summer, since this year I didn't really experiment with design. Should I stick with my single pyramid design or should I try out a chimney and a base piece? And also, my main supports, are two pieces, one bigger than the other, glued together, to form the shape of an L (commonly referred to as an L piece) . Then I glue my cross pieces on the inside of the L. Is that a good idea? Or is that just wasting weight? Will strength be affected? Should I just use single wood pieces instead, thx
2016-2019 Brother Joseph Fox Latin School
2020-2022 Kellenberg Memorial High School
2022 events - Bridge, Write It Do It, Wright Stuff
God Bless and Rest In Peace Len Joeris (Balsa Man)
“for the betterment of science”
ashmmohan
Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wood Glue Types?

Post by ashmmohan »

scioly2345 wrote:At the start of the season I started with just regular elmers wood glue. Then right before regionals I switched to titebond, and had a major downfall. I went from a 1505-1526 at invitationals to a 787-838 at regionals and states. Could my glue switch be why? Or could it have been my wood quality and density? Or just my pure building skill? And also, I need to know what glue to purchase next. I heard titebond 3 wood glue is pretty strong. Should I go with that? Or should I go back to elmers? And what site has the best balsa? I've only been doing towers for a year, and my season is now over and I'm gonna experiment with a lot of designs and wood and glue over the summer, since this year I didn't really experiment with design. Should I stick with my single pyramid design or should I try out a chimney and a base piece? And also, my main supports, are two pieces, one bigger than the other, glued together, to form the shape of an L (commonly referred to as an L piece) . Then I glue my cross pieces on the inside of the L. Is that a good idea? Or is that just wasting weight? Will strength be affected? Should I just use single wood pieces instead, thx
Use cyanoacrylate. It works the best. Don't use elmers or those kind of craft glues...they aren't as strong.
Boca Raton Community High School
Cornell/MIT/Berkeley/Regionals/States/Nationals (- indicates no medal)
Wind Power: 1/6/3/1/1/
Towers: 5/-/-/-/5/
EV: -/3
Hovercraft: 1/-/-

Return to “Towers B/C”