Tower Optimization for Division C

thegreaterhawk
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tower Optimization for Division C

Post by thegreaterhawk »

Hello folk,

I have been trying to get the tower optimization down for the 60cm tower but can't get the calculations correct.

I have looked through the forums and found someone (i think balsaman) did the optimizer for division B as seen in the google drive below, but has anyone done one for divisions C that they are willing to share with me, I would greatly appreciate it

[[[[[[[[I'm posting a link to a Google Drive folder with some (hopefully) useful Tower stuff: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-oLt ... lN5eUtQdUE

Towers.docx, Towers.pdf <--- Document describing some of the key points we learned about towers this season (mostly just before State)
Youngs Mouduli of Balsa 1956.pdf <--- Published document reporting measurements of the Modulus of Elasticity of balsa (different grains, different densities)
Tower_Jig.jpg <--- Photo of our last jig before State for a design not attempting the bonus
TowerDesignOptimizer.xlsx <--- Spreadsheet for estimating the weight/score of simple towers with only evenly-spaced X-braces on each side given the density and cross-sectional dimensions of wood. It also allows you to calculate the number of X-braces you need based on the Euler critical length (from the "Youngs Mouduli of Balsa 1956.pdf" data with a fudge factor to bring the numbers in-line with our own crude measurements)]]]]]]]]]]]]
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: CO

Re: Tower Optimization for Division C

Post by Balsa Man »

thegreaterhawk wrote:Hello folk,

I have been trying to get the tower optimization down for the 60cm tower but can't get the calculations correct.

I have looked through the forums and found someone (i think balsaman) did the optimizer for division B as seen in the google drive below, but has anyone done one for divisions C that they are willing to share with me, I would greatly appreciate it

[[[[[[[[I'm posting a link to a Google Drive folder with some (hopefully) useful Tower stuff: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-oLt ... lN5eUtQdUE

Towers.docx, Towers.pdf <--- Document describing some of the key points we learned about towers this season (mostly just before State)
Youngs Mouduli of Balsa 1956.pdf <--- Published document reporting measurements of the Modulus of Elasticity of balsa (different grains, different densities)
Tower_Jig.jpg <--- Photo of our last jig before State for a design not attempting the bonus
TowerDesignOptimizer.xlsx <--- Spreadsheet for estimating the weight/score of simple towers with only evenly-spaced X-braces on each side given the density and cross-sectional dimensions of wood. It also allows you to calculate the number of X-braces you need based on the Euler critical length (from the "Youngs Mouduli of Balsa 1956.pdf" data with a fudge factor to bring the numbers in-line with our own crude measurements)]]]]]]]]]]]]
That's crtomir's post. From quick look, easily adoptable to C
If you dig back through my posts, there's lots of C-specific info. I've been working on both this year
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
Crtomir
Division: B
State: OH

Post by Crtomir »

thegreaterhawk wrote:Hello folk,

Yeah, I think you just have to change the height to the Division C height. What is that? 70 cm? So make it 71 cm or something. On the top left of the spreadsheet, under "Tower Geometry", change the "height" to 71cm. Hope it is useful to you. On the top right, you can enter the weight and dimensions of the balsa wood you start with. In the top middle, you can enter the dimensions of the main columns (legs) and the bracing pieces.
Crtomir
State: OH

Post by Crtomir »

But more importantly, you would do well to look back through all of Balsa Man's posts. He covered a lot of ground in showing the science behind the design, including how to measure the critical buckling length of the balsa sticks you want to use as your main columns in your tower.
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach

Post by Balsa Man »

Crtomir wrote:But more importantly, you would do well to look back through all of Balsa Man's posts. He covered a lot of ground in showing the science behind the design, including how to measure the critical buckling length of the balsa sticks you want to use as your main columns in your tower.

Thanks, Crtomir. Between what you, and a number of others have posted, you have...the text book here. Understanding a) the underlying science, b) the variety of specific techniques for turning theory into....sturdy reality, and c) building and testing and collecting and being able to understand data is the path you seek. Go for it!
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

Balsa Man wrote:
Crtomir wrote:But more importantly, you would do well to look back through all of Balsa Man's posts. He covered a lot of ground in showing the science behind the design, including how to measure the critical buckling length of the balsa sticks you want to use as your main columns in your tower.

Thanks, Crtomir. Between what you, and a number of others have posted, you have...the text book here. Understanding a) the underlying science, b) the variety of specific techniques for turning theory into....sturdy reality, and c) building and testing and collecting and being able to understand data is the path you seek. Go for it!
Len, You're starting to sound a little bit like Yoda! :D
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach

Post by Balsa Man »

dholdgreve wrote:
Balsa Man wrote:

Len, You're starting to sound a little bit like Yoda! :D
Heh, heh, heh.... :mrgreen:
Yes, is all about being one with the force(es) :geek: :geek:
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO

Return to “Towers B/C”