National Tower Scores?

Random Human
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

National Tower Scores?

Post by Random Human »

Anyone have tower scores at nats?
I have the list of who won but what were their scores?
Great job to everyone competing!
Thanks!
Random Human - Proud (former) Science Olympian. 2015-2017
Writer of Doers
Dynamic Planet
Breaker of Towers: 16-17 Season Peak Score - 3220
Len Joeris all the way. Remember Len.
Dohnnovan
Division: B
State: CA

Re: National Tower Scores?

Post by Dohnnovan »

I'm soooo curious to hear this.
Ukiah High School '20
JZhang1
State: NY

Post by JZhang1 »

Random Human wrote:Anyone have tower scores at nats?
I have the list of who won but what were their scores?
Great job to everyone competing!
Thanks!
Second place for division B was just over 3400, first I believe was pretty close. I think a lot of teams were disappointed with scores, the weather might have had a big effect, and the autoloader was also very slow.
Ward Melville High School -> Princeton University
Juanyjose

Post by Juanyjose »

I know 5th place (Tower Heights) held 12.08kg and weighed 4.08 (2960).

Not me by the way. I got 20th (Wydown) held 9.9kg (with bonus) and weighed 7.01 (1697)

And I've heard a rumor Gelinas got around 3400 (disappointed cuz they were expecting 3900
JZhang1
State: NY

Post by JZhang1 »

Juanyjose wrote:I know 5th place (Tower Heights) held 12.08kg and weighed 4.08 (2960).

Not me by the way. I got 20th (Wydown) held 9.9kg (with bonus) and weighed 7.01 (1697)

And I've heard a rumor Gelinas got around 3400 (disappointed cuz they were expecting 3900
More or less true, but very happy with the placing.
Ward Melville High School -> Princeton University
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

Well, I can report a couple of scores from the teams I worked with- a bit down the order- 13th in B, and 14th in C.

Both met 29cm circle bonus- we decided to see what we could do with the (good) jigs we had, rather than take on new, non-circle bonus jig building. Preston MS weighed in at 7.4, carried right at full-2290, breaking right at the end. 5/32 legs, 1/32 x 1/16 Xs only, 10 X sets. Xs cut from 9gr 3 x 36” sheet. Top ladder from very low density 1/8, bottom ‘tension band’ 1/16 wide from 1/64th sheet. Legs running at a 9% safety factor on design BS (BS tested at 2cm longer than installed length). Some interesting bits of drama to get there-

On the way to testing, got run into on the stairs, and tower (weighing 6.7) was broken. However, last weekend, doing final test, the test tower held full. As soon as last sand went in, grabbed the bucket, took load off. Reminding them that stuff happens, suggested that they take it along as a backup (since building event devices were going via a van with a team parent driving). So, after the disaster on the stairs, a run back to get the backup….. But, there’s one more layer to the story of the little backup tower that could. Before its test last week, it was stored in a storage room at school, and someone went in and broke it- leg break about 3cm down from the top, and two of the top ladder pieces. Leg break splinted w/ two pieces of 1/64th sheet. So, one data point on the question of can a tower that’s seen full load do it again. It had seemed really solid at the end of the test- no sounds, no visible distortions. I think if the 6.7gr tower hadn’t gotten broken, it would have gone to/near full load, btw….

Fossil’s was very similar to Preston’s, but with 11 X sets, and a little lower SF (one leg at 5%). Both ran reinforcement strips at the center of the lower Xs that were longer than bottom Xs in a non-circle bonus configuration- bottom 3 X sets on B, bottom 4 X sets on C; 1/32 x 1/16, laminated on outside of one X, and inside of the other; 4, 3, 2, 1cm long on C, 3, 2, and 1cm long on B. Both ran straight legs (no slight outward bowing to try to get Xs working only in tension).

So, a little bit disappointing, but on the other hand, not bad. So proud of the builder's hard work, and great learning, absorbing the why and how of the engineering....

Wonder how the tower rules for next year are going to be modified..?
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Raleway »

If they follow Bridges, they'll be elevated? Which might be like having a "box" near the base where no legs/wood can be to create an elevated tower? If not, they might try to make a tilted tower like bridges again, which would not be fun :(
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman
Dohnnovan
Division: B
State: CA

Post by Dohnnovan »

My guess is that the towers will have to be two directional towers
Ukiah High School '20
0ddrenaline
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by 0ddrenaline »

Raleway wrote:If they follow Bridges, they'll be elevated? Which might be like having a "box" near the base where no legs/wood can be to create an elevated tower? If not, they might try to make a tilted tower like bridges again, which would not be fun :(
Dohnnovan wrote:My guess is that the towers will have to be two directional towers
In 2012 there was a score multiplier based on height. There are many possibilities for rule changes. I'm wondering what you mean by "two directional towers" though.
Random Human

Post by Random Human »

3400 for second.. intresting

i would expect one or 2 teams to hit over 4k
but weather may have something to do with it, it seems like all the teams scores were significantly lowered, 3k should be easy for top teams to hit... but yet 5th got 2900...
anyone know about beckandorf

(this is for div b)
Random Human - Proud (former) Science Olympian. 2015-2017
Writer of Doers
Dynamic Planet
Breaker of Towers: 16-17 Season Peak Score - 3220
Len Joeris all the way. Remember Len.

Return to “Towers B/C”