scioly2345
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Towers B/C

Post by scioly2345 »

Highest I've gotten is 1526...... is that good? What is the best glue to use that's wood glue ? :D
2016-2019 Brother Joseph Fox Latin School
2020-2022 Kellenberg Memorial High School
2022 events - Bridge, Write It Do It, Wright Stuff
God Bless and Rest In Peace Len Joeris (Balsa Man)
“for the betterment of science”
scioly2345
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by scioly2345 »

I got 17th at states with a 838 efficiency, is that ok? I had a downfall after one invitational, could it be building errors, wood quality, or glue switch from elmers to titebond? Thx!
2016-2019 Brother Joseph Fox Latin School
2020-2022 Kellenberg Memorial High School
2022 events - Bridge, Write It Do It, Wright Stuff
God Bless and Rest In Peace Len Joeris (Balsa Man)
“for the betterment of science”
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

scioly2345 wrote:I got 17th at states with a 838 efficiency, is that ok? I had a downfall after one invitational, could it be building errors, wood quality, or glue switch from elmers to titebond? Thx!
1526 is "respectable." Frankly, most competitions that I've seen this year (7 of them) has needed at least 2,000 to get to the podium (top 6 places). If you are headed to Nationals, add another 1,000 to it. Yes, I believe it will take a score of over 3,000 to even place at Nationals this year in towers. To assess your tower, we would need far more info than just your score.... Was this score a result of carrying nearly a full load, but a heavier tower, or a very light tower carrying just over the chain and bucket? I have a feeling it has very little to do with the glue, and more to do with design and technique. This is not unusual.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

dholdgreve wrote:
scioly2345 wrote:I got 17th at states with a 838 efficiency, is that ok? I had a downfall after one invitational, could it be building errors, wood quality, or glue switch from elmers to titebond? Thx!
1526 is "respectable." Frankly, most competitions that I've seen this year (7 of them) has needed at least 2,000 to get to the podium (top 6 places). If you are headed to Nationals, add another 1,000 to it. Yes, I believe it will take a score of over 3,000 to even place at Nationals this year in towers. To assess your tower, we would need far more info than just your score.... Was this score a result of carrying nearly a full load, but a heavier tower, or a very light tower carrying just over the chain and bucket? I have a feeling it has very little to do with the glue, and more to do with design and technique. This is not unusual.
As usual, totally agree.
As has been discussed at some length, CA is the hands-down choice for glue, and 'quality" is not the issue with wood, it is getting wood that gives you the strength you need, at the lightest weight possible. You need to understand how to do that. There is a LOT of info here you can go back and read that will guide you in doing that.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
Juanyjose

Post by Juanyjose »

How much should get me in the top 10 at nationals, Div B? Top 5? I have a tower that (I think) can get me 2500, 3000 if I'm lucky. I've never been to nationals, so I'm not really sure, but also how many rankings are announced? Like, do they announce who got 6th/7th place, or just 1st through 5th, for individual events.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Juanyjose wrote:How much should get me in the top 10 at nationals, Div B? Top 5? I have a tower that (I think) can get me 2500, 3000 if I'm lucky. I've never been to nationals, so I'm not really sure, but also how many rankings are announced? Like, do they announce who got 6th/7th place, or just 1st through 5th, for individual events.
Nationals does medals through 6th place. You can see this in some of the previous awards ceremony videos (they're on youtube).

2500 might do top ten, probably wouldn't medal. 3000 will almost certainly be top ten, possibly a medal.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
S4BB
State: IL

Post by S4BB »

Cleaning up after the season, and pulled together all the jig we created. There are so many because we had three teams in B this season and I helped with a C team.
S4BB

Post by S4BB »

Cleaning up after the season, and pulled together all the jig we created. There are so many because we had three teams in B this season and I helped with a C team.
thegreaterhawk

Post by thegreaterhawk »

S4BB wrote:Cleaning up after the season, and pulled together all the jig we created. There are so many because we had three teams in B this season and I helped with a C team.
Nice! What are the yellow spots I see between the X's of that tower? Excess glue?
S4BB

Post by S4BB »

After we strip the wood, we weigh and then mark each piece by density, using highlighters, your seeing the yellow highlighter.

Return to “Towers B/C”