bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Towers B/C

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B
Has thanked: 0

Re: Towers B/C

Post by dholdgreve »

So has anyone seen this years rules yet? Any twists?
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
HandsFreeCookieDunk
Division: C
State: PA

Post by HandsFreeCookieDunk »

dholdgreve wrote:So has anyone seen this years rules yet? Any twists?
From what I've heard, they removed the restriction that limited the width of the tower above a certain height, so most designs no longer need to be built in two pieces. I also heard about a 2kg bonus for a tower that spans a 29cm diameter circle.
JZhang1
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by JZhang1 »

you have to estimate your load score for tie-breaking
Ward Melville High School -> Princeton University
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

JZhang1 wrote:
...I'm not entirely sure whether to take this seriously. My first thought was "lol that woudl be hilarious" but now I'm not so sure.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Unome wrote:
JZhang1 wrote:
...I'm not entirely sure whether to take this seriously. My first thought was "lol that woudl be hilarious" but now I'm not so sure.
Yes, this is correct, outlined in rule 5.a.iii. The Load Scored estimate is used as a tiebreaker, see 6.e.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Unome

Post by Unome »

bernard wrote:
Unome wrote:
JZhang1 wrote: you have to estimate your load score for tie-breaking
Yes, this is correct, outlined in rule 5.a.iii. The Load Scored estimate is used as a tiebreaker, see 6.e.
An interesting way to add an extra tiebreaker just in case (though I figure ties aren't that common in these events).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Unome wrote:
bernard wrote:
Unome wrote: ...I'm not entirely sure whether to take this seriously. My first thought was "lol that woudl be hilarious" but now I'm not so sure.
An interesting way to add an extra tiebreaker just in case (though I figure ties aren't that common in these events).
Actually they do happen. One of the very rare times we had a tie at Nationals for a medal we couldn't break was with Towers many years back.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Unome

Post by Unome »

chalker wrote:
Unome wrote:
bernard wrote: Yes, this is correct, outlined in rule 5.a.iii. The Load Scored estimate is used as a tiebreaker, see 6.e.
Actually they do happen. One of the very rare times we had a tie at Nationals for a medal we couldn't break was with Towers many years back.
Oh yeah, now I remember; 6th? place Towers, 2012. Someone mentioned it in conjunction with it being your first time running scoring at Nationals.

Is that what inspired the change?
Userpage

embokim
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by embokim »

HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:
From what I've heard, they removed the restriction that limited the width of the tower above a certain height, so most designs no longer need to be built in two pieces. I also heard about a 2kg bonus for a tower that spans a 29cm diameter circle.
So are we expecting more straight towers that try to just go for the raw score that may be easier or a repeat from past years the basic two part tower, or just a straight gradual pyramid design because triangular pyramids are some of the inherently strongest structures.
Happy to be here

Return to “Towers B/C”