Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: CO
Has thanked: 0

Re: Bonus weight in Towers B

Post by Balsa Man »

Llamastwaimzjf wrote:Yes. And that is the fastest breaking point of my tower, I plan on using balsa . Would you recommend that?
Without more information, no way to guess why they're breaking, other than saying they're not strong enough. What size wood are you using (as in cross section dimension)> What density (as in weight of 36" sticks)? What interval are you bracing at? What's your tower weight, and what sort of load is it breaking at?
As already explained, there are three ways to make them stronger: 1) use higher density wood (of the same cross-section as you're using now, 2) brace them more (as in shorter braced interval- if you're bracing at 1/4 interval, go to bracing at 1/5, or 1/6 interval, 3) increase cross section.

I'm confused when you say you "plan on" using balsa. In another post you said you were using bass. As discussed in great length in various posts, 1/8" balsa looks like the way to get to the lightest tower (that will carry close to full load).
Random Human
Been thanked: 0

Post by Random Human »

Balsa Man wrote:
Llamastwaimzjf wrote:Yes. And that is the fastest breaking point of my tower, I plan on using balsa . Would you recommend that?
Without more information, no way to guess why they're breaking, other than saying they're not strong enough. What size wood are you using (as in cross section dimension)> What density (as in weight of 36" sticks)? What interval are you bracing at? What's your tower weight, and what sort of load is it breaking at?
As already explained, there are three ways to make them stronger: 1) use higher density wood (of the same cross-section as you're using now, 2) brace them more (as in shorter braced interval- if you're bracing at 1/4 interval, go to bracing at 1/5, or 1/6 interval, 3) increase cross section.

I'm confused when you say you "plan on" using balsa. In another post you said you were using bass. As discussed in great length in various posts, 1/8" balsa looks like the way to get to the lightest tower (that will carry close to full load).
Balsa Man, let's do some reanalysis on the bonus.
You claim the bonus can in fact lead to a higher score, I disagree.
Here are a few things to consider:
1. With the bonus, you are changing a square base from 16 cm, to 22, cm an 8 cm increase. -> more use in leg wood
2. Next, with the legs farther apart, more bracing wood is required, as well as stronger bracing wood
3. The more angled tower, leads to less strength among the legs itself.
4. all of these disadvantages are in exchange for 2000 grams extra to your score
5. If you are just going for a 2000 scoring tower, you would have to be at 8.5 with the bonus, 7.5 without, to make all these changes (steps 1, 2, 3) you would need according to my calculations more than a gram to make it work (hold all)
These are my insights and my ideas, no means to argue
What are your thoughts?
Thanks for insights
Random Human - Proud (former) Science Olympian. 2015-2017
Writer of Doers
Dynamic Planet
Breaker of Towers: 16-17 Season Peak Score - 3220
Len Joeris all the way. Remember Len.
BuildingFriend
State: DC

Post by BuildingFriend »

Random Human wrote:
Balsa Man wrote:

1. With the bonus, you are changing a square base from 16 cm, to 22, cm an 8 cm increase. -> more use in leg wood
2. Next, with the legs farther apart, more bracing wood is required, as well as stronger bracing wood
4. all of these disadvantages are in exchange for 2000 grams extra to your score
5. If you are just going for a 2000 scoring tower, you would have to be at 8.5 with the bonus, 7.5 without, to make all these changes (steps 1, 2, 3) you would need according to my calculations more than a gram to make it work (hold all)
What are your thoughts?
Thanks for insights
I still think it's worth it- disregarding all the numbers and making a qualitative claim- adding two WHOLE kilograms at a low weight changes the efficiency dramatically. At the higher levels of building (coming from where I am) we use such thin wood that adding even five pieces of bracing does not register on our 0.1 precision scale (adding on glue probably then 0.1g). And 2000 is too low an estimate- to win probably 2700 would suffice which makes 2kg margin even larger. Strength of bracing wood is not really a matter- glue area is. The more angled tower (longer hypotenuse and base) would require a slightly more dense compression member to make up for the BS- still I feel less significant than the added 2kg. Balsaman probably has the math better than me and a better idea of the bonus than me so just my two cents
Fermilicious
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

Random Human wrote:
Balsa Man wrote:

What are your thoughts?
Thanks for insights
Hmmm. Let's think about this... The difference in column lengths stated is 50.30 vs 50.71 cm... .41 cm per column... let's assume a 4 column tower... that is an additional 1.64 cm in columns... A typical tower column might weigh .7 grams... divided by 50 cm times 1.64 = an addition of .02296 grams of columns. Granted, the braces get longer... let's assume a typical 7 tier tower... that's 14 braces per side x 4 sides = 56 braces... bottom braces get ~ 3 cm longer... top braces remain the same... so assume an average of 1.5 CM longer x 56 = 84 cm additional braces... Ahh he says... but they are at an angle... you are correct. let's round that up to 100 cm... the braces we use weigh an average of.2 grams for a 100 cm strip... no added glue.

So... if we add the .2 grams of bracing to the .02296 of column length extra, we get .22296 added material weight... By your own assessment, the break even point is a full gram of mass difference (7.5 grams to 8.5 grams)
Based on these numbers, that allows over 3/4 of a gram to extend your ladders, or stiffen your columns to carry the slight increase in load.

So yes Human, the Bonus is most certainly worth it... :lol:
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach

Post by Balsa Man »

BuildingFriend wrote:Balsa Man, let's do some reanalysis on the bonus.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks for insights
Cool, let's
1. With the bonus, you are changing a square base from 16 cm, to 22, cm an 8 cm increase. -> more use in leg wood.
Yes, but very little; about 1cm/leg = just under 4cm more, and density the same

Yes, more wood (longer ladders and Xs), but no, not really, on “stronger” (as in higher density) bracing required; very low density works in both cases- for ladders above the bottom one, 0.7gr/36 (1/8”), lowest density you’re going to find is more than strong enough.
I think you’re trying to say, more angle = higher forces at a given load; however, that increase is very small (<0.05kg, at a 15kg tower load)
The noted ‘disadvantages’ are small, and the +2kg is large
That’s not what my calcs say.
No problem- this kind of argument/dialog, and thinking about all the issues in play to analyze this, is a good thing; science and engineering at work.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks for insights

The analysis I ran looks at a C-tower, legs at 1/8”,1.4gr/36” legs, braced at 1/5 interval, ladders (at 1/8”, 0.75gr/36”) and Xs (1/64 x 1/16 at 0.00224 gr/cm) bracing.
For tower meeting the bonus
Legs- 245.2cm, weight 3.75gr
Ladders- 225.5cm, weight 1.85gr
Xs- 802cm, weight 1.8gr
Glue, 1gr
Total = 8.39gr; score if 15kg held =2026.1; score if 14kg held =1906.9

For tower not meeting the bonus
Legs- 242.64cm, weight 3.71gr
Ladders- 165.10cm, weight 1.35gr
Xs- 641.6cm, weight 1.44gr
Glue, 1gr
Total = 7.50gr; score if 15kg held = 2000.7; score if 14kg held =1867.3

Close, yeah, but the bonus tower wins, and as you come down from full load held, the winning margin increases. This doesn’t surprise me, because over the years, in wood structures, and other building events, every time the rule makers have included a bonus it has been very carefully designed to pay off. There’s a lot of careful thought that goes into coming up with and defining bonuses to work this way. The analysis above is….conservative a) because using 0.75gr/36” to calculate for ladders, but 0.7gr/36” is strong enough for both versions, and b) the lighter the tower, the bigger the difference/payoff. For folk shooting for >2000, the bonus is even more important.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
BuildingFriend
State: DC

Post by BuildingFriend »

I didn't post what you replied to above...? (it was RandomHuman's post) But thank you for the analysis!
Fermilicious
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach

Post by Balsa Man »

Hey, sorry 'bout that. Fell a bit silly, but... it got the analysis out there.
I'd been ....tied up in other things for the last few says, and rushing to catch up here. :roll:
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Question that came up during Penn about the bonus:

If the Tower initially spans the bonus weight after check in, but then during loading the Tower deforms to the extent that a piece of it is now touching within the circle, is the bonus now lost? This is a hypothetical, as I don't recall this happening with any team's tower, but I wanted to ask out of curiosity.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Question that came up during Penn about the bonus:

If the Tower initially spans the bonus weight after check in, but then during loading the Tower deforms to the extent that a piece of it is now touching within the circle, is the bonus now lost? This is a hypothetical, as I don't recall this happening with any team's tower, but I wanted to ask out of curiosity.
Yes, 3.a. specifies "no part of the tower may touch or be supported within the 29 cm circle" to qualify for the bonus. A Tower touching within the 29 cm circle does not "span a 29 cm diameter circle."
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

bernard wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Question that came up during Penn about the bonus:

Yes, 3.a. specifies "no part of the tower may touch or be supported within the 29 cm circle" to qualify for the bonus. A Tower touching within the 29 cm circle does not "span a 29 cm diameter circle."
There's also a FAQ on this if I remember correctly (stating that it has to be outside until failure).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “Towers B/C”