Tower Design

nicksalanitri
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tower Design

Post by nicksalanitri »

JZhang1 wrote:Lets have a topic on SUCCESSFUL DESIGNS, DESIGN RELATED ISSUES, and all things design related.
Last edited by nicksalanitri on March 12th, 2017, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ward Melville 2018-2020 + DMAH Coach 2019

2019 Events: Forensics, Fossils, Geologic Mapping

2020 Events: Fossils, Ornithology, Gravity Vehicle (also did forensics, ppp, wright)
Bob Miller
State: NJ

Post by Bob Miller »

That is really good, like nats first place level, but you're from Cali so not surprising. Any tips from your tower?
Heli <3 , towers :!: , mousetrap :geek: , hover :idea: ... time is valuable but clearly with these events I have absolutely no time. "Build to destroy"... my motto for towers.
nicksalanitri
State: NY

Post by nicksalanitri »

nicksalanitri wrote:
JZhang1 wrote:Lets have a topic on SUCCESSFUL DESIGNS, DESIGN RELATED ISSUES, and all things design related.

Hi im from Division B in California, with my tower design were averaging 3,800 efficiency, i can email you my design if you would like.

CORRECTION i said 3800 but meant 2800 sorry for the confusion.
Last edited by nicksalanitri on March 12th, 2017, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ward Melville 2018-2020 + DMAH Coach 2019

2019 Events: Forensics, Fossils, Geologic Mapping

2020 Events: Fossils, Ornithology, Gravity Vehicle (also did forensics, ppp, wright)
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

nicksalanitri wrote:
nicksalanitri wrote:

Hi im from Division B in California, with my tower design were averaging 3,800 efficiency, i can email you my design if you would like.

Id be interested to see your design
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Gol17

Post by Gol17 »

nicksalanitri wrote:
nicksalanitri wrote:

2800 is great. Would be interested in seeing your design
0ddrenaline
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by 0ddrenaline »

I'm starting to wonder if the bonus is really worth the trouble. I've seen/heard of several top-level towers without the bonus.
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

0ddrenaline wrote:I'm starting to wonder if the bonus is really worth the trouble. I've seen/heard of several top-level towers without the bonus.
Yup, so have I.
I think, but am not sure, its close. Posted some calcs a while back indicating it is, but continuing to think. I'm sure it is for a ladders and Xs approach, but may tip the other way on other bracing configurations. A key limitation the wider stance introduces is longer bracing toward the bottom, meaning brace pieces need to be stronger (i.e., heavier).
So when/if new insights, I'll post.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
Random Human

Post by Random Human »

Balsa Man wrote:
0ddrenaline wrote:I'm starting to wonder if the bonus is really worth the trouble. I've seen/heard of several top-level towers without the bonus.
Yup, so have I.
I think, but am not sure, its close. Posted some calcs a while back indicating it is, but continuing to think. I'm sure it is for a ladders and Xs approach, but may tip the other way on other bracing configurations. A key limitation the wider stance introduces is longer bracing toward the bottom, meaning brace pieces need to be stronger (i.e., heavier).
So when/if new insights, I'll post.
I feel like bonus really isn't worth it, because when you get down to so 5,4 grams, a slight shift in the denominator will dramatically impact the score, as in just moving the numerator up 2kg, its really a hassle. Felt bad about and it may not be worth it for only 2kg.
Random Human - Proud (former) Science Olympian. 2015-2017
Writer of Doers
Dynamic Planet
Breaker of Towers: 16-17 Season Peak Score - 3220
Len Joeris all the way. Remember Len.
freed2003
State: CA

Post by freed2003 »

What do you gues use for the legs? We use 1/8 squared balsa but I feel like it's inadequate
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
Random Human

Post by Random Human »

freed2003 wrote:What do you gues use for the legs? We use 1/8 squared balsa but I feel like it's inadequate
For the most part, people stick to 1/8, or 3/32. The thing is, if you go above 1/8, your going to have to use a really low density stick to achieve high scores, using a higher density, lower mass stick may prevent lots of problems such as the wood and glue tearing off when pressure is put.
Random Human - Proud (former) Science Olympian. 2015-2017
Writer of Doers
Dynamic Planet
Breaker of Towers: 16-17 Season Peak Score - 3220
Len Joeris all the way. Remember Len.

Return to “Towers B/C”