Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: CO
Has thanked: 0

Re: Tower Design

Post by Balsa Man »

Random Human wrote:
freed2003 wrote:What do you gues use for the legs? We use 1/8 squared balsa but I feel like it's inadequate
For the most part, people stick to 1/8, or 3/32. The thing is, if you go above 1/8, your going to have to use a really low density stick to achieve high scores, using a higher density, lower mass stick may prevent lots of problems such as the wood and glue tearing off when pressure is put.
Yup. If you take the time to go back and read through previous posts, there is lengthy, detailed discussion, and specific information. If you just go with dimension, you will get nowhere; strength (at any given size), depends on density; the heavier stick weight, the stronger. Its really the buckling strength that matters in your design; it varies with the density, but some sticks (at a given density) are stronger, and some weaker than....the average at a given weight/density. When you know the buckling strength of a potential leg stick, you can then figure out/calculate what bracing interval you need to use to get it strong enough to carry full load. Just a few pages back, there's a long post describing exactly how to do this,
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
Juanyjose
Been thanked: 0

Post by Juanyjose »

nicksalanitri wrote:
nicksalanitri wrote:
JZhang1 wrote:Lets have a topic on SUCCESSFUL DESIGNS, DESIGN RELATED ISSUES, and all things design related.

Hi im from Division B in California, with my tower design were averaging 3,800 efficiency, i can email you my design if you would like.

CORRECTION i said 3800 but meant 2800 sorry for the confusion.
I would be very interested in seeing your design, if you could pass that on to me that would be great ([email protected]). I am from a very non competitive state, so 2800 is mind blowing for me, the best at our state competition was like 1700. Congrats!
Random Human
Been thanked: 0

Post by Random Human »

Juanyjose wrote:
nicksalanitri wrote:
nicksalanitri wrote:

Hi im from Division B in California, with my tower design were averaging 3,800 efficiency, i can email you my design if you would like.

CORRECTION i said 3800 but meant 2800 sorry for the confusion.
I would be very interested in seeing your design, if you could pass that on to me that would be great ([email protected]). I am from a very non competitive state, so 2800 is mind blowing for me, the best at our state competition was like 1700. Congrats!
Seeing someone's design wouldn't help you at all. Knowing how the weight is distributed, how the tower buckles, and how to make your tower efficient will. You can find all of this in the forums. Good luck, and have fun....
#BalsaMan
Random Human - Proud (former) Science Olympian. 2015-2017
Writer of Doers
Dynamic Planet
Breaker of Towers: 16-17 Season Peak Score - 3220
Len Joeris all the way. Remember Len.
Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Raleway »

Random Human wrote:
Balsa Man wrote:
0ddrenaline wrote:I'm starting to wonder if the bonus is really worth the trouble. I've seen/heard of several top-level towers without the bonus.
Yup, so have I.
I think, but am not sure, its close. Posted some calcs a while back indicating it is, but continuing to think. I'm sure it is for a ladders and Xs approach, but may tip the other way on other bracing configurations. A key limitation the wider stance introduces is longer bracing toward the bottom, meaning brace pieces need to be stronger (i.e., heavier).
So when/if new insights, I'll post.
I feel like bonus really isn't worth it, because when you get down to so 5,4 grams, a slight shift in the denominator will dramatically impact the score, as in just moving the numerator up 2kg, its really a hassle. Felt bad about and it may not be worth it for only 2kg.
I disagree with that statement- 2 Kg at 5.4g or in my case 5.1g is significant. When you want to max for a score having 17 even as a possibility for weight held score is infinitely better than 15 Kg as lowering the denominator is so much harder at ~5g. Even at 0.05 difference is difficult to get. Thus if you have a 5.1g tower at max or a 5.4g tower at max with bonus, the 5.4g tower will have a higher score. However, the variability is probably a deal breaker for many as the increased distance means the difference between a break or successful tower.
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman

Return to “Towers B/C”