Can Arduinos be outside of the 25x25 box?

DoctaDave
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Can Arduinos be outside of the 25x25 box?

Post by DoctaDave »

iProcrastinated wrote:My coach is still concerned about having arduinos, batteries, laptop, and wires outside of the 25 x 25 box. Are there any officials that can confirm/deny for sure or are there any rule clarifications or something of that sort that straight out say that arduinos are allowed outside?

Sorry for doubting windu34, but my coach really wants me to take no chances.
Thank you.
This isn't the place for official clarifications. If you want to be sure you won't be challenged at all then you need to ask an FAQ on soinc.org.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

DoctaDave wrote:
iProcrastinated wrote:My coach is still concerned about having arduinos, batteries, laptop, and wires outside of the 25 x 25 box. Are there any officials that can confirm/deny for sure or are there any rule clarifications or something of that sort that straight out say that arduinos are allowed outside?

Sorry for doubting windu34, but my coach really wants me to take no chances.
Thank you.
This isn't the place for official clarifications. If you want to be sure you won't be challenged at all then you need to ask an FAQ on soinc.org.
This is good advice, but FAQs often gk unanswered for 2 months (or indefinetly based on many of my own) so i wouldnt wait for an official clarification to prepare for your competition
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

I have competed multiple times with my arduino, batteries, and other shields outside of the 25x25 box. There is nothing in the rules that requires it to be inside.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

If you are preparing for a local tournament, it is often faster for your coach to ask that tournament director for a clarification. And you know that it will be honored at that tournament. National FAQs and clarifications SHOULD be followed, but aren't always.

UNOFFICIALLY, because as others have said, this is not the place for official clarifications, I don't see any language in the rules that says you can't have an arduino as part of your external controller. Have your coach show you where the language he is concerned about is in the rules. Then read it jointly and carefully. If it still isn't clear, post the specific paragraph and words here that have the coach concerned. While we can't give you anything official, you might get some useful feedback on the language.

PS, you and your coach DO have a copy of the rules and are referring to it as you have this discussion...

...I CERTAINLY HOPE SO!

Another source is to look at YouTube videos of Robot arm at tournaments and see what folks have used successfully. Watch which year rules of course. bBt the language about the controllers hasn't changed much over time.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

Return to “Robot Arm C”