bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Robot Arm C

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
maxxxxx
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Robot Arm C

Post by maxxxxx »

How many arms are we allowed to have. I would assume the maximum is two, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the rules.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

maxxxxx wrote:How many arms are we allowed to have. I would assume the maximum is two, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the rules.
There is no limit
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
chaguy2457
Division: C
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by chaguy2457 »

Hey guys, is it possible for one school to have one robot for three teams? Thanks!
Captain

Bold indicates main event
2016 Events: Disease Detectives, Dynamic Planet, Forensics, Fossils, Game On, Green Generation, It's About Time
Medal Count: 3

2017 Events: Experimental Design, Game On, Hovercraft, Rocks and Minerals, Herpetology, Wind Power
Medal Count: 3
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

chaguy2457 wrote:Hey guys, is it possible for one school to have one robot for three teams? Thanks!
As in use the same device for multiple teams during a single tournament? Probably not, based on the Building Policy
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
laidlawe18
State: RI

Post by laidlawe18 »

Hi,

I have motors that are meant for 12 - 18.5 volts. The recommended voltage is 14.8V. If I use a 12V or 9V battery and step it up to 15V say, that would break the 14.4V rule, I assume. Is that correct, or is it just the labeled voltage on the battery. If I use a 14.4V battery, do you think I'll take a significant hit on torque, etc?
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

laidlawe18 wrote:Hi,

I have motors that are meant for 12 - 18.5 volts. The recommended voltage is 14.8V. If I use a 12V or 9V battery and step it up to 15V say, that would break the 14.4V rule, I assume. Is that correct, or is it just the labeled voltage on the battery. If I use a 14.4V battery, do you think I'll take a significant hit on torque, etc?
Technically you wouldn't be breaking the 14.4 rule, but some event supervisors might argue otherwise. There is minimal difference in reality between 14.8 and 14.4V for an application like this. You should be fine.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

First, usual disclaimer, but I haven't said it yet this year. NOTHING you see on this forum is official!!! Doesn't matter if its Chalker a committee chair, me the National Event Supervisor, or John Doe random person. We can only offer opinions. They are not binding. ONLY the national site can make binding interpretations of the rules.

And in a moment you'll see why.

I disagree with chalker's (yes I know his first name, but custom seems to be to use login names) opinion and advice.
Quoting from the rules: Only commercial batteries, not exceeding 14.4 volts as labeled, may be used to energize each of the Device's electrical circuits. Multiple batteries may be connected in series or parallel as long as the expected voltage output across any two points does not exceed 14.4 volts as calculated using their labeled voltage.

I'm going to focus on the "expected voltage across any two points" wording. If you are using circuitry to step up the voltage you are certainly violating that wording. Its the key words we've used to disallow conversion to 115V AC or stepping down from 115V AC.

While you might not get 'caught', are the consequences worth it? This falls in the same category as making a device that is .1mm too big. What's the benefit vs risk?

So, you can see why I note that NOTHING on this site is official. If you want an official answer, submit a FAQ to the national site, we'll hash out an answer, and give you one that everyone MUST live with.

Thanks

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Jeff nailed it on the head - my response was a little too short perhaps. Some event supervisors would penalize you for stepping up the voltage to 15V, some wouldn't, and they might each interpret things differently. The bottom line I was trying to emphasize is to just use the 14.4V max battery without stepping it up, that is clearly within the rules. Your motor should operate just fine.

And yes, as usual, this is not the place for official statements.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
GoldenKnightB
State: PA

Post by GoldenKnightB »

Last year, I saw several teams use “tools”. One example would be putting a “corral” down so the Ping-Pong balls would not roll away. Tools were often left on the playing surface without penalty.

I think that tools are still allowed this year but the new rule 6g(vii) muddies the waters a bit. It reads the run must stop when “Any part detaches from the Device.”

Tools are not parts. That was made clear last year. (If they were parts, then rule 6g(vi) would have applied).

Comments?

I will be submitting this to Nationals for a rule clarification.

Return to “Robot Arm C”