Rubber Band

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Rubber Band

Post by chalker »

Raleway wrote:
ripharambe2k16 wrote:I read somewhere that FAI Tan SS rubber comes with some talc powder rubbed on it and that you should wash the rubber to get the powder off. I couldn't find anything to back this up, so i was wondering if this is true.
My partner and I (and the team) have never done that. We just cut it, tie, and lube it. However, talc powder is connected with cancer and thus be careful interacting with it. Usually, it is used to absorb moisture and cut down on friction. Putting water on rubber is a no-no generally due to friction but I would say not to wash it off. Testing each with a torque meter is your best bet however.
There isn't a strong scientific correlation between talc and cancer yet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talc#Safety There is some potential indication that long term, large exposure can cause certain kinds of cancers. The bottom line is I don't want anyone freaking out over a little bit of talc.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Re: Rubber Band

Post by Raleway »

chalker wrote:
Raleway wrote:
ripharambe2k16 wrote:I read somewhere that FAI Tan SS rubber comes with some talc powder rubbed on it and that you should wash the rubber to get the powder off. I couldn't find anything to back this up, so i was wondering if this is true.
My partner and I (and the team) have never done that. We just cut it, tie, and lube it. However, talc powder is connected with cancer and thus be careful interacting with it. Usually, it is used to absorb moisture and cut down on friction. Putting water on rubber is a no-no generally due to friction but I would say not to wash it off. Testing each with a torque meter is your best bet however.
There isn't a strong scientific correlation between talc and cancer yet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talc#Safety There is some potential indication that long term, large exposure can cause certain kinds of cancers. The bottom line is I don't want anyone freaking out over a little bit of talc.
Oh sorry haha- I just wanted a word of caution :) Just don't eat that powder haha. Sorry if I caused panic or anything
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman

Return to “Wright Stuff B”