Instructions for building plane without kit?

Kyle_Guo
Division: B
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Instructions for building plane without kit?

Post by Kyle_Guo »

I have been thinking of building a plane without the assistance of a kit. I have found 2 sources for instructions but I cannot tell which one would be more precise and an overall easier and better building experience.
Source #1: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Wright_Stuff
Source #2: https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... iad5.0.pdf
If you know which is preferred or have any better sources for instructions I would like to know.
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''
bjt4888
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Instructions for building plane without kit?

Post by bjt4888 »

I would use Bill Gowen's Finny 09 plan possibly with modifications i wrote- up in an earlier post in this wiki.

Bill is a ast world record holder in a fairly similar event calle F1M and a many time national champion in indoor rubber and glider .

Brian T.
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

There are about as many different ways to build a plane from scratch as there are builders. One of the things I enjoy about this event is it is pretty tolerant to a lot of different building approaches. Study a number of sources, pick one you like and go. After you've built a number of planes, you can start varying things to suit your preferences as long as the end result is a strong, LIGHT plane that meets the rules you can start the real hard part. Trimming.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Kyle_Guo

Post by Kyle_Guo »

The Problem is, Bill Gowen does F1M, the plan would not fall under event parameters. I have tried to find the Finny 09 plan on the builders plan gallery at Hip pocket Aeronautics but it wasn't there
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

Kyle,

The Finny 09 is in the Hip Pocket Builders Plan Gallery under the "Indoor - Other Classes. It is also posted earlier in this wiki as are my notes on possible concept modifications and rules required modifications to the plan.

One other possible modification to the Finny 09 would be to use Bill's F1M or Penny Plane curved leading edge wing tip plates. In my experience, curved leading edge wing tip plates are a very significant benefit when ceiling scrubbing or rafter banging, which are both risky things to do, but sometimes happen when pushing for a win.

Brian T.
Kyle_Guo

Post by Kyle_Guo »

Many sources say to use 1/32" balsa and many say to use 1/16" balsa. Which one should be used?
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''
Kyle_Guo

Post by Kyle_Guo »

Ok, I see that you need a variety of balsa thicknesses. I will be downloading the Finny 09 plan and modifying it to meet parameters.
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

Kyle,

It is not necessary to use wood as thin as 1/32" for a 7.5 gram WS airplane. Wing and stab ribs can be sliced 1/16" deep from 1/16" sheet. Wing and stab leading and trailing edges can be 1/16" square sticks (12 lb cu ft for wing and 8 lb cu ft for the stab). Other wood sizes and densities are noted in the Finny 09 plan or in my earlier wiki post.

Brian T
Kyle_Guo

Post by Kyle_Guo »

How are the ribs curved and how do you make sure the curve is uniform throughout the entire wing and stab? Do you cut them out curved or cut out straight 1/16" by 1/16" sticks and wet them and bend them on a light?
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Kyle_Guo wrote:How are the ribs curved and how do you make sure the curve is uniform throughout the entire wing and stab? Do you cut them out curved or cut out straight 1/16" by 1/16" sticks and wet them and bend them on a light?
Either is fine, I have seen both done. Rather than using a light, some make and use rib bending jigs like pictured, bake the setup dry (or allow air dry), then trim the ribs to length. Cutting the jigs by hand would be most convenient and consistent with a jig pictured here which can easily be made. Laser cutting jibs is even more convenient but not necessary for good ribs.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “Wright Stuff B”