Flight Times

wlsguy
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Flight Times

Post by wlsguy »

I figure it's pretty early but thought I would ask what range of times people are getting (along with specifics such as gym height, rubber used, etc)
I'm curious because the team I am helping was getting just over 2 minutes flying at 22' on 1/16" rubber with 1800 winds. They were landing with 600 winds so we obviously need to strip some custom motors but this was only the first day of practice. I guess I expected it to be more difficult to break 2 minutes (or maybe we got lucky)
calvin102111
Division: C
State: IN

Re: Flight Times

Post by calvin102111 »

wlsguy wrote:I figure it's pretty early but thought I would ask what range of times people are getting (along with specifics such as gym height, rubber used, etc)
I'm curious because the team I am helping was getting just over 2 minutes flying at 22' on 1/16" rubber with 1800 winds. They were landing with 600 winds so we obviously need to strip some custom motors but this was only the first day of practice. I guess I expected it to be more difficult to break 2 minutes (or maybe we got lucky)
With the flight I did today we got ~1:30, but we had a problem with the AC in the gym being turned on, which was really screwing with the turns.
Captain for 2016/17 Season

Projected Events: Wind Power; Dynamic Planet; Ecology; Optics; R & M; WIDI
Kyle_Guo
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by Kyle_Guo »

wlsguy wrote:I figure it's pretty early but thought I would ask what range of times people are getting (along with specifics such as gym height, rubber used, etc)
.062 is about the size I'm using mainly because the only sizes I have are .052, .058, and .062. Is it 1800 winds without any dewinds?
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''
wlsguy

Post by wlsguy »

Yes, the 1800 was without any dewinding. The students were playing it safe because they didn't want to risk losing their plane in the rafters on the first day. I don't remember the batch number of the rubber but will check it.
Kyle_Guo

Post by Kyle_Guo »

How much time on average would you get from 1500 winds on a decent plane? I have never went into more than 2 minutes but maybe that's because I haven't really trimmed my plane.
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''
wlsguy

Post by wlsguy »

I can't say for certain how long 1500 winds would go. Too many variables. Since my team only used 1200 of the winds, I expect slightly thicker motors will help.
Some details of the plane. It was at the max wing and stab sizes and weighs 7.8g. The motor was 1.45g with o rings. The prop was an Ikara cut down to size and balanced. I don't recall the prop pitch.
freed2003
State: CA

Post by freed2003 »

What? My school's best time was 38 seconds and our rubber broke after 750 winds
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Planes to this years rules are capable to well above 2 minutes, probably above 3.

Tell us some more about your plane and let us try to help.
Specific things we need to know.
General information about your plane design and prop. WHAT IS THE WEIGHT!
What rubber are you using, size and source. Do you lube your motors. Do you stretch wind? Breaking at that low turns means too thick motors, too short motors, no lube, improperly stored, or poor basic source of rubber. With the .065 or so motors folks are using this year you should be well above 1500 turns with no risk of breaking.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Kyle_Guo

Post by Kyle_Guo »

Are there any good places where you can get most the information needed for trimming? I have had difficulties trimming a plane that should do well. The plane turns in very small circles (10ft, sometimes 15) and that takes away from the time. When I tilt the stab or rudder a little less, the plane does right turns. I am wasting many winds when the plane lands and have changed the rubber width to thicker rubber but still wasting many winds. The prop pitch has not been changed while I tested.
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by JasperKota »

I've been getting around 1:40 pretty consistently, though its max height is around 15 feet so there's still room to climb. Planning on building/buying a torque meter, as well as getting more rubber so I don't have to worry about conserving :ugeek:
2020 Events: Fossils, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff, Ping Pong Parachute
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives

Return to “Wright Stuff B”