How much to wind?

Science17
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How much to wind?

Post by Science17 »

When I wind 1500 winds, the plane flies normally but I want it to go higher, so I winded it to 1800 winds but now it just dives to the ground. What is the problem?
Kyle_Guo
Division: B
State: NJ

Re: How much to wind?

Post by Kyle_Guo »

I have the same problem. When I increase more winds, the opposite takes effect, Instead of more lift from the higher torque, it shoots down immediately.
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Science17 wrote:When I wind 1500 winds, the plane flies normally but I want it to go higher, so I winded it to 1800 winds but now it just dives to the ground. What is the problem?
Your motor stick may be bowing. As you add more winds. your motor shortens and pulls on the two motor hooks more, possibly causing your motor stick to bow more, decreasing your front wing incidence and decalage. Look at this video where the plane initially descends, then climbs. This can be a useful trick for short rooms.

To fix bowing, stiffen your stick by adding a vertical post perpendicular to the motor stick, and gluing carbon fiber running from the nose of the plane, over the post, to the tail hook end of the plane. There are other ways to stiffen motor sticks that increase mass more.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Kyle_Guo

Post by Kyle_Guo »

My Motor stick is very stiff. It light density balsa stick reinforced with higher density balsa plates (running along the entire stick) covering the lighter density balsa. It will not bend. If I tried harder, it would snap. I also observe that with full winds, the MS does not warp or bend.
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Most likely cause is bending motor stick, as already mentioned. Classic behavior with these planes if you aren't aware.

If you are SURE your motor stick isn't bending (check it with a ruler, no motor, and again with a fully wound motor, check that the tail boom isn't drooping too) it could be excessive down thrust on the prop.

Another possibility, is the plane taking on a harder bank and possibly rolling left into the ground? If so, you might add more left wing wash in.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
mchoi595
Division: C
State: WI

Post by mchoi595 »

The best solution would be to add a little scrap piece of balsa beneath the wing and staff which will create more lift in the front, this should make the plane fly higher
Kyle_Guo

Post by Kyle_Guo »

I added more left wash-in and the plane flew normally at higher torque.
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''

Return to “Wright Stuff B”