Rubber Powered Airplane - SO trial event

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Rubber Powered Airplane - SO trial event

Post by chalker »

calgoddard wrote:I forgot to mention that I received many complements about the rules of this trial event leading up the the Rubber Powered Airplane (RPA) event that was conducted at the SoCal SciOly State finals at Caltech on April 8, 2017.

Coaches, parents and students particularly pointed out that they liked easing the design restrictions, simplifying the size measurement of the models, and eliminating the weight limit on the rubber motors. Most people who commented had experience with the Wright Stuff event and preferred the RPA rules.

I received no negative comments at the trial event about the RPA rules.

If you read my prior posts, I think I carefully and thoughtfully countered the few criticisms that were posted in connection with this topic. For example, the criticism about potential damage to a model from being crammed into the box clearly did not take into consideration the very clear wording of Rule 4.e.
As I indicated before, it's great to see you take initiative and show some interested in rules creation. Glad to hear your trial running of the event went well. In case you weren't aware, I'd like to explain in general terms how a trial event moves through the process to becoming a real event. The general steps are:

1. Create rules for a trial event
2. Run the trial event at a series of tournaments, revising rules as necessary
3. Gather interest in the event from a variety of states
4. Have representatives from those states advocate to the rules committee for adoption of the event
5. Get the event designated as a 'promising pilot', whereby the relevant rules committee chair takes 'ownership' and advocates for wide spread testing and adoption and revision of rules as appropriate
6. The rules committee then insert the event into the event rotation for future inclusion

Now I mention these are the 'general' steps, because there are always exceptions to the process. The bottom line is if you want to push this further, you'll need to start advocating for it to be run at more tournaments and get members of the rules committee interested in it.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
calgoddard
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by calgoddard »

Chalker -

Thanks for describing the process by which a new SciOly event is proposed and officially adopted.

I wonder if Rubber Powered Airplane (RPA) is an exception?

It is really just a revision of the Wright Stuff rules.

The reason for naming it RPA was to avoid confusion with the existing Wright Stuff event.

Do you still believe that all the steps listed in your most recent post are necessary in connection with RPA?
chalker

Post by chalker »

calgoddard wrote:Chalker -

Thanks for describing the process by which a new SciOly event is proposed and officially adopted.

I wonder if Rubber Powered Airplane (RPA) is an exception?

It is really just a revision of the Wright Stuff rules.

The reason for naming it RPA was to avoid confusion with the existing Wright Stuff event.

Do you still believe that all the steps listed in your most recent post are necessary in connection with RPA?
They aren't necessarily all needed. But the bottom line is you still need to get other people interested and advocating for this. The rules committee generally doesn't adopt changes like this unilaterally, and you've already heard some skepticism from some key members in this thread. The best way to push this further forward is to get more people interested in it and talking about it.

Student Alumni
calgoddard
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by calgoddard »

Chalker -

Thanks for your advice.

I think I have pretty much exhausted what little influence I have.

I appreciate your willingness to have a dialogue with me about the Rubber Powered Airplane (RPA) trial event.

I believe it has been a constructive exercise.

Thanks also for the many, many hours you spend on Science Olympiad helping thousands of students get exposure to science and engineering outside of the classroom.
chalker

Post by chalker »

calgoddard wrote: I think I have pretty much exhausted what little influence I have.
I think you underestimate what further things you can do. There are several steps listed on the National Website you can follow: https://www.soinc.org/learn/trial-events There are links to all the State Directors also available on the national website, who you could start to personally reach out to.

Student Alumni

Return to “Wright Stuff B”