Wright Stuff B

BuildingFriend
State: DC

Re: Wright Stuff B

Post by BuildingFriend » February 7th, 2017, 2:32 pm

Ah reminiscent days of WS- these things are much more forgiving than Helicopters and ELG. Unfortunately, WS depends more upon the gym you will fly/compete in. Understanding how pitch/yaw/turning works on your plane is instrumental as flying into the wall will derail your flight. Dipping in the max altitude flight is fine, but if you see large dipping in the descending phase then changing some part of the balance or checking for damage would be beneficial. Also, be aware that flying into hoops does not give your team extra points (though you will get laughs and applause at the time, later on the bus ride and awards ceremony it will not be much as so). In any case, a kit from FFM or any kit will only match up to other kits (besides building skills). Thus building your own will allow for better applications but are riskier. Conversely, sticking with the kit means building skills are much, much more important. Not rushing the build, letting the glue dry at the suggested time intervals, and other small details will change who wins and who loses. Best of luck to all the people on this event! If anyone has questions, feel free to message me- I am the proud owner of far too many broken planes and have spent too long on this event :)
Fermilicious

CVMSAvalacheStudent
Division: C
State: CA

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent » February 8th, 2017, 5:58 pm

friesareties wrote:How do people transport their plane? I'm mostly worried about the wing+wing mount breaking, when unassembled I feel like just a jostle on a car could snap a rib.
It is true that the planes do break easily and when they do your flight is ruined. You can put it in a box and use soft material, but there's always a chance that the plane will break still.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs

CVMSAvalacheStudent

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent » February 8th, 2017, 6:00 pm

smrt1337 wrote:
friesareties wrote:How do people transport their plane? I'm mostly worried about the wing+wing mount breaking, when unassembled I feel like just a jostle on a car could snap a rib.
i use a slab of styrfoam and put pins in all around the components to prevent them from moving.
The pins might snap your rubber band thus making your plane unable to fly, but good idea.
Wait, do you mean safety pins?
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome » February 8th, 2017, 6:24 pm

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:
smrt1337 wrote:
i use a slab of styrfoam and put pins in all around the components to prevent them from moving.
The pins might snap your rubber band thus making your plane unable to fly, but good idea.
I would think that generally one does not transport a Wright Stuff plane with the rubber band attached...
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

CVMSAvalacheStudent

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent » February 8th, 2017, 6:26 pm

Unome wrote:
CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:
smrt1337 wrote: i use a slab of styrfoam and put pins in all around the components to prevent them from moving.
I would think that generally one does not transport a Wright Stuff plane with the rubber band attached...
Me too, but there always will be that one person who doesn't think.

JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by JasperKota » February 8th, 2017, 7:41 pm

I usually bring multiple motors (some the same weight and width) in case, though I have yet to tear one.
2020 Events: Fossils, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff, Ping Pong Parachute
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives

CVMSAvalacheStudent

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent » February 8th, 2017, 7:54 pm

JasperKota wrote:I usually bring multiple motors (some the same weight and width) in case, though I have yet to tear one.
Smart

smrt1337
Division: B
State: WI

Post by smrt1337 » February 17th, 2017, 7:16 pm

This may end up being a stupid question, but from my ELG experience, you want the plane to glide as close to a stall as possible, therefore letting it glide longer. However, when I apply that to my plane, the plane tends to fly with the nose up, but not stalling. It looks really inefficient, and times do not seem to be improving when I do this. Could anyone tell me if you are supposed to do this? Thanks!

JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by JasperKota » February 19th, 2017, 9:46 am

smrt1337 wrote:This may end up being a stupid question, but from my ELG experience, you want the plane to glide as close to a stall as possible, therefore letting it glide longer. However, when I apply that to my plane, the plane tends to fly with the nose up, but not stalling. It looks really inefficient, and times do not seem to be improving when I do this. Could anyone tell me if you are supposed to do this? Thanks!
During the first half of the flight, the plane should fly nose up while climbing. During the descent the motorstick should be almost level, without dives or stalls.
2020 Events: Fossils, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff, Ping Pong Parachute
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives

hogger

Post by hogger » February 20th, 2017, 7:14 am

What is the time difference? You have the perfect experimental setup for you to test right in front of you.

Return to “Wright Stuff B”