where to buy wood?

Kyle_Guo
Division: B
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: where to buy wood?

Post by Kyle_Guo »

Regarding where to buy wood, the place where I buy (Hobby Lobby), the 1/32" sheets I use for most of my plane, there I KNOW there isn't any C-grain wood but I can't tell the difference between A and B grain if anyone can help with that.It says the lines in b grain are shorter, but some lines are short and some are really long. They all look similar.
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''
bjt4888
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: where to buy wood?

Post by bjt4888 »

Lower density wood is often less stiff than higher density wood, but not always. For two parts cut from the same density wood that also have the same weight you can compare stiffness by supporting one end of the part on your workbench and settig a small weight on the other end and compare drflection. This works for longish parts like tailbooms and wing spars or with sheets that are to be cut into small parts like ribs.

Most indoor competition modelers have a self-constructed deflection testing apparatus. All this being said, the WS rules allow you to use pretty strong wood and stiffness testing is of minimal benefit. If you cut three or four motor sticks out of the same sheet of wood that are cose in weight just test flex them with your hands and use the stiffest.

Brian T.

Return to “Wright Stuff B”