Helicopters C

jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Re: Helicopters C

Post by jander14indoor »

As usual, unofficial, hard to judge based on words, etc.

An archimedes screw type rotor is a really inefficient way to generate lift.
And one turn over a light of one minute, again, not much lift there.
Finally, how are you powering it?

Overall, I think you'd have a difficult discussion with an ES about whether such a device provided lift to qualify for the bonus.

But again, that is without seeing it in action.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
dhdarren
Division: C
State: OH
Been thanked: 0

Post by dhdarren »

jander14indoor wrote:As usual, unofficial, hard to judge based on words, etc.

An archimedes screw type rotor is a really inefficient way to generate lift.
And one turn over a light of one minute, again, not much lift there.
Finally, how are you powering it?

Overall, I think you'd have a difficult discussion with an ES about whether such a device provided lift to qualify for the bonus.

But again, that is without seeing it in action.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
I don't know if it would work either, but in terms of powering it, it is no different that a traditional rotor. The "screw" rotor would take the place of the top rotor, and be powered by the rubber motor via a motor hook all the same.
2015:
R | S
Bridge: 1 | 8
AirTraj: 5 | 26
WS: 12 | 9
Scrambler: 6 | 17
DP: 7 | X

2016:
Bridge: 2 | 15
AirTraj: 2 | 6
WS: 3 | 11
DP: 4 | 15
GeoMap: 4 | 25

2017:
Heli: 1 | 1
Hover: 1 | 4
Towers: 2 | 15
DP: 1 | 6
Wind: 2 | 8
2018:
R | S
Heli:
Hover:
Towers:
DP:
Eco:
MV:[/b]
kaziscioly
State: IL

Post by kaziscioly »

Does anyone have a scanned version of the template paper you can use to set up a 4 bladed rotor with the FFM kit? I have the laser cut pieces and such, just not the paper. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

kaziscioly wrote:Does anyone have a scanned version of the template paper you can use to set up a 4 bladed rotor with the FFM kit? I have the laser cut pieces and such, just not the paper. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Are you looking for the four blade upper or lower or both?
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
kaziscioly

Post by kaziscioly »

bernard wrote:
kaziscioly wrote:Does anyone have a scanned version of the template paper you can use to set up a 4 bladed rotor with the FFM kit? I have the laser cut pieces and such, just not the paper. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Are you looking for the four blade upper or lower or both?
Nevermind, I just got them. Thank you though!
kaziscioly

Post by kaziscioly »

Trying to build the freedom flights kit, but our instructions guide is missing a few pages.. could someone possibly send me a picture or a scan of pages 7 and 8 in their instructions? Thanks
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

kaziscioly wrote:Trying to build the freedom flights kit, but our instructions guide is missing a few pages.. could someone possibly send me a picture or a scan of pages 7 and 8 in their instructions? Thanks
I sent you a private message with these two pages.

Anyone else following this: please note Dave does not want these instructions publicly posted so do not post them to this site.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
kaziscioly

Post by kaziscioly »

Has anyone else experienced problems with the knot on their rubber motors? Sometimes when we're flying it looks like the knot gets stuck on the side of the motor stick and stops our bottom rotor from rotating freely (independent of the motor stick). Any advice / solutions?
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by JasperKota »

kaziscioly wrote:Has anyone else experienced problems with the knot on their rubber motors? Sometimes when we're flying it looks like the knot gets stuck on the side of the motor stick and stops our bottom rotor from rotating freely (independent of the motor stick). Any advice / solutions?
I'm unfamiliar with helicopters, but basing off of wright stuff, the knot should not get caught on the body causing you to lose winds if you put the knot as close to the rear hook as possible, with the side of the motor w/o the knot attached to the rotor.
2020 Events: Fossils, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff, Ping Pong Parachute
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

JasperKota wrote:
kaziscioly wrote:Has anyone else experienced problems with the knot on their rubber motors? Sometimes when we're flying it looks like the knot gets stuck on the side of the motor stick and stops our bottom rotor from rotating freely (independent of the motor stick). Any advice / solutions?
I'm unfamiliar with helicopters, but basing off of wright stuff, the knot should not get caught on the body causing you to lose winds if you put the knot as close to the rear hook as possible, with the side of the motor w/o the knot attached to the rotor.
It works for Wright Stuff, not quite for Helicopters, given this year's design - that will only make it stuck. What kind of knot are you using? I found the FFM knot to be a bit too fat for my liking (I had the same problem as you kaziscioly), so I switched to a different one. Jeff Anderson, I think, has suggested an excellent knot and has described it recently/multiple times somewhere in the forum (can't find it at the moment :/), which I can't seem to make work, but I highly suggest you check out. :)
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!

Return to “Helicopters C”