Helicopters C

andrew lorino
Member
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: November 4th, 2015, 4:00 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Helicopters C

Postby andrew lorino » February 13th, 2017, 6:15 am

Here's my thoughts on the FFM 2017 kit:

The FFM 2017 kit is a radical departure from previous FFM kits, with innovations such as carbon fiber, a new blade design, a rotating ceiling bumper, and a laser cut motor stick. The carbon fiber blades were an excellent addition, being extremely strong, surviving multiple flights of being whacked repeatedly against a concrete beam with no damage, a feat impossible with balsa blades. I have no idea if the new blade design worked, but assembly was just as easy as previous kits, facilitated massively by the inclusion of spar supports. The rotating ceiling bumper worked, although its mount was extremely hard to assemble without breaking it. I was initially concerned by the new motor stick design, but it performed well, although the supports for the Kevlar thread had a habit of breaking in transit, which was to be expected. As usual, the instructions were excellent, although the locations of some components were different to what was stated in the instructions. In addition, the inclusion of more 2 blade rotor bosses and glass thrust bearings would have been much appreciated. Overall, the kit was excellent, with the combination of quality parts and instructions that I have come to expect from FFM.

calgoddard
Member
Member
Posts: 214
Joined: February 25th, 2007, 9:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Helicopters C

Postby calgoddard » February 13th, 2017, 3:04 pm

World record holder Stan Buddenbohm sells an excellent kit for this event.

Details are given at:

https://www.amaglider.com/?p=view&a=sta ... opter-2016

The well written and nicely illustrated instructions for constructing and flying Stan's MINI-PEARL helicopter are geared toward students with no prior building and flying experience.

Stan's instructions are far more concise than those included in the 2017 FFM kit. Stan's MINI-PEARL can be built in a fraction of the time that it takes to build a 2017 FFM helicopter.

The MINI-PEARL helicopter flies on standard 1/8 inch rubber so there is no need to buy custom stripped rubber or a rubber stripper.

Stan's helicopter design also exhibits an excellent self-righting capability.

The 2017 FFM kit and design are very well done. The MINI-PEARL helicopter kit offers a lower cost, easier to assemble, alternative.
Last edited by calgoddard on February 13th, 2017, 5:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

AznPr0d1gy
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: December 28th, 2013, 1:02 pm
Division: C
State: TX
Location: Seven Lakes High School
Contact:

Re: Helicopters C

Postby AznPr0d1gy » February 13th, 2017, 3:18 pm

The Mini Pearl is definitely nice, but the kit has some questionable aspects, one of them is his 1/8 rubber choice and his really high pitch angle.

User avatar
Fanglin
Member
Member
Posts: 115
Joined: November 22nd, 2015, 12:36 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Offline Probably
Contact:

Re: Helicopters C

Postby Fanglin » February 13th, 2017, 9:07 pm

I've been having trouble with the FFM kit during flight. It always seems extremely overpowered and rockets out of my hands, but it's extremely unstable on the roof, and in the air. I've had some instances where the helicopter even flipped because of the high RMP. I've been trying to possibly reduce RPM to maximize flight performance. Way back in devision B helicopters in 2012, I saw tons of helicopters with either a fixed lower blade, or a "cape" like blade as shown below:
Image
I'm already working on a larger fixed lower blade for my helicopter, but I'm open to any suggestions or ideas.

Cheers!
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead

Bluejet1179
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: January 8th, 2017, 3:56 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Helicopters C

Postby Bluejet1179 » February 14th, 2017, 4:07 am

Fanglin wrote:I've been having trouble with the FFM kit during flight. It always seems extremely overpowered and rockets out of my hands, but it's extremely unstable on the roof, and in the air. I've had some instances where the helicopter even flipped because of the high RMP. I've been trying to possibly reduce RPM to maximize flight performance. Way back in devision B helicopters in 2012, I saw tons of helicopters with either a fixed lower blade, or a "cape" like blade as shown below:
Image
I'm already working on a larger fixed lower blade for my helicopter, but I'm open to any suggestions or ideas.

Cheers!

Change band thickness?

0ddrenaline
Member
Member
Posts: 111
Joined: May 21st, 2015, 6:36 pm
Division: Grad
State: MI
Contact:

Re: Helicopters C

Postby 0ddrenaline » February 14th, 2017, 5:21 am

AznPr0d1gy wrote:The Mini Pearl is definitely nice, but the kit has some questionable aspects, one of them is his 1/8 rubber choice and his really high pitch angle.

I thought of this too. I've been scratch-building every helicopter, but I'm running out of our 5-year old stash of ribs, so I might as well get a kit. Of course an experienced builder could alter the helicopter. But, honestly, is the Mini Pearl supposed to be a "beginner" or "simple" alternative to the FFM kit? In other words, could the Mini-Pearl reach the same potential in its condition as-is? I personally doubt it with 1/8 rubber. I could easily alter the pitch of the helicopter, since I have a good collection of rubber sizes to match.

Edit: I'm still interested in it though because it's relatively cheap $$$$ :?:

HandsFreeCookieDunk
Member
Member
Posts: 81
Joined: January 14th, 2016, 4:53 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Contact:

Re: Helicopters C

Postby HandsFreeCookieDunk » February 14th, 2017, 9:53 am

I guess I'll bring this up since we're talking about the kits. Did anyone else experience crazy turnaround times for the FF kit? We ordered ours before the new year and it still hasn't arrived. I'm starting to panic because the competition is only a month away.

maxxxxx
Member
Member
Posts: 282
Joined: November 30th, 2015, 8:11 am
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: CA
Contact:

Re: Helicopters C

Postby maxxxxx » February 14th, 2017, 9:54 am

HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:I guess I'll bring this up since we're talking about the kits. Did anyone else experience crazy turnaround times for the FF kit? We ordered ours before the new year and it still hasn't arrived. I'm starting to panic because the competition is only a month away.


IIRC they had to hand make all of kits this year individually so they're really backed up with orders
Lower Merion Class Of 2017

User avatar
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 160
Joined: October 22nd, 2015, 8:01 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: WEHS
Contact:

Re: Helicopters C

Postby JasperKota » February 14th, 2017, 12:34 pm

HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:I guess I'll bring this up since we're talking about the kits. Did anyone else experience crazy turnaround times for the FF kit? We ordered ours before the new year and it still hasn't arrived. I'm starting to panic because the competition is only a month away.

Did you get a confirmation for the order? It took around four weeks for my kit to arrive. I would suggest buying a different kit for now or try making your own helicopter just in case the FF one doesn't arrive quickly enough.
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Invasives, Wright Stuff, Ecology
2016 Events: Invasives, Dynamic Planet, Crave the Wave

RyanH1999
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: February 21st, 2017, 4:33 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Helicopters C

Postby RyanH1999 » February 21st, 2017, 4:35 am

My helicopter always turns over and flies at the ground. I don't think it is generating enough thrust to get up into the air because the rotors are only alllowed to be 20 cm. Does anyone have any tips?

P2P
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: April 4th, 2015, 7:43 am
Division: C
State: IL
Contact:

Re: Helicopters C

Postby P2P » February 21st, 2017, 6:52 am

Try to shorten the length of your rubber motor.

0ddrenaline
Member
Member
Posts: 111
Joined: May 21st, 2015, 6:36 pm
Division: Grad
State: MI
Contact:

Re: Helicopters C

Postby 0ddrenaline » February 21st, 2017, 8:58 am

RyanH1999 wrote:My helicopter always turns over and flies at the ground. I don't think it is generating enough thrust to get up into the air because the rotors are only alllowed to be 20 cm. Does anyone have any tips?

I've had this problem when the bottom rotor was producing more thrust than the top one. Just an idea.

RyanH1999
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: February 21st, 2017, 4:33 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Helicopters C

Postby RyanH1999 » February 21st, 2017, 11:39 am

0ddrenaline wrote:
RyanH1999 wrote:My helicopter always turns over and flies at the ground. I don't think it is generating enough thrust to get up into the air because the rotors are only alllowed to be 20 cm. Does anyone have any tips?

I've had this problem when the bottom rotor was producing more thrust than the top one. Just an idea.


Do you think making the bottom rotor smaller in diameter would help?

BuildingFriend
Member
Member
Posts: 52
Joined: January 10th, 2017, 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Helicopters C

Postby BuildingFriend » February 22nd, 2017, 5:52 pm

The helicopter has worked fine with our team- goes up a bit fast but stays up fine with usually two minutes. You have to release perfectly vertical or else it goes into wright stuff mode
Fermilicious

Krypton
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: February 24th, 2017, 5:33 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Helicopters C

Postby Krypton » February 24th, 2017, 8:45 am

Has anyone figured out how to get the bonus yet? I've been having trouble designing something that satisfies the bonus and stays stable while in the air.


Return to “Helicopters C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest