Helicopter Flight Times

dhdarren
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Helicopter Flight Times

Post by dhdarren »

ckssv07 wrote:Is there anyone who's breaking into the 2:20ish area with a device sizably over the minimum weight? Also for those of you at 2.5g, what are your component weights. I can hit 2 minutes with a 3.5g helicopter and from what I've seen here cutting down the weight to 2.5 would help a ton but I'm weighing using thinner rubber to accommodate a lighter motor stick which is currently 1.6g. Thanks.
Are you using the FFM kit? If so, your motor stick seems a bit on the heavy side. Dave's motor stick sheets do tend to vary significantly in density; I've ordered a couple, and some of mine have been under 1.0g when assembled, and some have been up to 1.2/1.3 ish. If you're using the FFM kit and it's coming in at 1.6g, I think it might be an issue with glue. CA glue, unless used very sparingly, might be a big to heavy, given the weight of the wood itself. I used model cement for most of mine, and they all came in at a desirable weight.

When I am using my lightest motor stick (just under 1.0g), the rest of the heli (the two rotors, in 4 and 2 combination) bring it up to just around 2.4, and I top it off with a bit of clay on the bottom rotor.
2015:
R | S
Bridge: 1 | 8
AirTraj: 5 | 26
WS: 12 | 9
Scrambler: 6 | 17
DP: 7 | X

2016:
Bridge: 2 | 15
AirTraj: 2 | 6
WS: 3 | 11
DP: 4 | 15
GeoMap: 4 | 25

2017:
Heli: 1 | 1
Hover: 1 | 4
Towers: 2 | 15
DP: 1 | 6
Wind: 2 | 8
2018:
R | S
Heli:
Hover:
Towers:
DP:
Eco:
MV:[/b]
AznPr0d1gy
State: TX

Post by AznPr0d1gy »

I break 3 minutes with a 2.07 gram helicopter, once i add clay to make it 2.5 grams and without adjusting the rubber sizes i still break 2:30. This is on around a 5-6 meter ceiling.
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

AznPr0d1gy wrote:I break 3 minutes with a 2.07 gram helicopter, once i add clay to make it 2.5 grams and without adjusting the rubber sizes i still break 2:30. This is on around a 5-6 meter ceiling.
I was able to break 2:07 on a 2 meter ceiling and 2:30 on a 5-6 meter ceiling, not counting the one single-bladed bonus on the heli.
Innovation =/= success
ckssv07
State: PA

Post by ckssv07 »

dhdarren wrote:
ckssv07 wrote:Is there anyone who's breaking into the 2:20ish area with a device sizably over the minimum weight? Also for those of you at 2.5g, what are your component weights. I can hit 2 minutes with a 3.5g helicopter and from what I've seen here cutting down the weight to 2.5 would help a ton but I'm weighing using thinner rubber to accommodate a lighter motor stick which is currently 1.6g. Thanks.
Are you using the FFM kit? If so, your motor stick seems a bit on the heavy side. Dave's motor stick sheets do tend to vary significantly in density; I've ordered a couple, and some of mine have been under 1.0g when assembled, and some have been up to 1.2/1.3 ish. If you're using the FFM kit and it's coming in at 1.6g, I think it might be an issue with glue. CA glue, unless used very sparingly, might be a big to heavy, given the weight of the wood itself. I used model cement for most of mine, and they all came in at a desirable weight.

When I am using my lightest motor stick (just under 1.0g), the rest of the heli (the two rotors, in 4 and 2 combination) bring it up to just around 2.4, and I top it off with a bit of clay on the bottom rotor.
I'm not using the kit, is the motor stick from the kit just a rectangular piece of wood or is there a special design to it? Also have you had any problems with motor stick durability because I've had issues with my 1g motor sticks snapping under the torque.

Is there anyone efficiently utilizing the bonus or have most people abandoned going for the tiem boost?
dhdarren

Post by dhdarren »

Bazinga+ wrote:
AznPr0d1gy wrote:I break 3 minutes with a 2.07 gram helicopter, once i add clay to make it 2.5 grams and without adjusting the rubber sizes i still break 2:30. This is on around a 5-6 meter ceiling.
I was able to break 2:07 on a 2 meter ceiling and 2:30 on a 5-6 meter ceiling, not counting the one single-bladed bonus on the heli.
Do you mean that you broke 2:30 with a single-bladed config., or with a traditional one? If so, congrats on breaking 3 minutes with bonus :o
2015:
R | S

2016:

2017:
2018:
R | S
Heli:
Hover:
Towers:
DP:
Eco:
AznPr0d1gy

Post by AznPr0d1gy »

I dont do the bonus, as I consider it a sham. There really is no point to it anyway.
AznPr0d1gy

Post by AznPr0d1gy »

I also have no idea what the bonus actually is.
dhdarren

Post by dhdarren »

AznPr0d1gy wrote:I dont do the bonus, as I consider it a sham. There really is no point to it anyway.
What makes you say that? The bonus is that it gives a 25% bonus to your time for each single-bladed rotor. As long as the rotor is close enough to balanced, the helicopter should still fly in a stable manner since it is still spinning in one axis. To me, one single-bladed rotor seems very plausible, and I am planning to try a single bladed one on the bottom, but I'm curious as to why you think it wouldn't work. Maybe I'm missing some part of your thinking :D
2015:
R | S

2016:

2017:
2018:
R | S
Heli:
Hover:
Towers:
DP:
Eco:
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

dhdarren wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:
Do you mean that you broke 2:30 with a single-bladed config., or with a traditional one? If so, congrats on breaking 3 minutes with bonus :o
Time of 2:30, so a score of like 187 - 3:07. Honestly the single bonus is a free 25% boost if you build it correctly.
Innovation =/= success
AznPr0d1gy

Post by AznPr0d1gy »

Guess ill give it a go

Return to “Helicopters C”