Cherrie_Lan
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Inclined Plane

Post by Cherrie_Lan »

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any good methods on getting an object up an inclined plane that goes with the rules?

I had a pulley pull an object up an inclined plane by having a hole in the object attach to the pulley string, and that object pushing another object up the inclined plane, but if that technically counts as having simultaneous transfers, that would only count as one transfer.

Thanks!
DankMcIntosh
Division: Grad
State: ID

Re: Inclined Plane

Post by DankMcIntosh »

Cherrie_Lan wrote:Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any good methods on getting an object up an inclined plane that goes with the rules?

I had a pulley pull an object up an inclined plane by having a hole in the object attach to the pulley string, and that object pushing another object up the inclined plane, but if that technically counts as having simultaneous transfers, that would only count as one transfer.

Thanks!
Hi Cherrie! The best way is the one you describe. That is in fact what I did last year. The only note I have is that the IMA has to be bigger than one. So get a fixed-and-movable in there. And it would count as two - ______ -> pulley, Pulley -> ________. I would also have this non rolling object that is pulled up knock something off. If you have any questions, PM me!
juddweeks

Post by juddweeks »

Cherrie, you are right though: this year, you would need to lift something 10 cm with the pulley before you start moving an object up your inclined plane for it to count as a scoreable transfer.

You can use a pulley though in a non-scorable way, e.g. a lever pulls a string through a single pulley to move the object up the inclined plane. this would be a lever -> inclined plane transfer.
kidcoder923

Post by kidcoder923 »

Hi Cherrie,

One other way is to have a weight drop off a platform then change the direction in order to keep the string position steady. Good luck ;)

Return to “Mission Possible B”