Pulley to Inclined Plane Transfer - Height Requiremnet

MissionPossibleCoach
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pulley to Inclined Plane Transfer - Height Requiremnet

Post by MissionPossibleCoach »

This year Pulley needs to move an object atleast 10 CM Vertical. For Inclined plane as well the same 10 CM vertical rule applies. My question is does each of these simple machine has to satisfy this separately or can they do it combined.

Lets say a pulley is pulling an object up the inclined plane and the object triggers the next action after it travels 10 cm vertical height along the inclined plane. Is this considered a scorable pulley to inclined plane transfer? Or should the pulley move the object up 20 cm (10 cm - Pulley + 10 cm- I/P) along the inclined plane for this to be a pulley to Inclined plane transfer?

Thanks
torqueburner
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Pulley to Inclined Plane Transfer - Height Requiremnet

Post by torqueburner »

MissionPossibleCoach wrote:This year Pulley needs to move an object atleast 10 CM Vertical. For Inclined plane as well the same 10 CM vertical rule applies. My question is does each of these simple machine has to satisfy this separately or can they do it combined.

Lets say a pulley is pulling an object up the inclined plane and the object triggers the next action after it travels 10 cm vertical height along the inclined plane. Is this considered a scorable pulley to inclined plane transfer? Or should the pulley move the object up 20 cm (10 cm - Pulley + 10 cm- I/P) along the inclined plane for this to be a pulley to Inclined plane transfer?

Thanks
I'd say that neither of the above would meet the rules. Rule 4.d.ii says that the pulley must "lift an object at least 10.0 cm vertically before the object initiates the next action. . .". Rule 3h indicates that the object lifted by the pulley cannot be the object moved along the inclined plane. So my interpretation is that the pulley must lift object A at least 10 cm vertically, after which object A initiates an action that lifts object B at least 10 cm vertically along the inclined plane. In other words, each machine needs to satisfy its requirements before initiating the next action/machine, which must satisfy its own requirements.
MissionPossibleCoach

Post by MissionPossibleCoach »

That was my second doubt about it which you already clarified.

Thanks
mderoller

Post by mderoller »

torqueburner wrote:
MissionPossibleCoach wrote:This year Pulley needs to move an object atleast 10 CM Vertical. For Inclined plane as well the same 10 CM vertical rule applies. My question is does each of these simple machine has to satisfy this separately or can they do it combined.

Thanks
I'd say that neither of the above would meet the rules. Rule 4.d.ii says that the pulley must "lift an object at least 10.0 cm vertically before the object initiates the next action. . .". Rule 3h indicates that the object lifted by the pulley cannot be the object moved along the inclined plane. So my interpretation is that the pulley must lift object A at least 10 cm vertically, after which object A initiates an action that lifts object B at least 10 cm vertically along the inclined plane. In other words, each machine needs to satisfy its requirements before initiating the next action/machine, which must satisfy its own requirements.
That's my interpretation as well.

Return to “Mission Possible B”