Inclined plane - angle

MissionPossibleCoach
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Inclined plane - angle

Post by MissionPossibleCoach »

If we have an inclined plane at 90 Degree angle, is it considered an inclined plane? Also if it we are able to pull an object up this 90 Degree plane by 10 cm, does that satisfy the rules for it to be an inclined plane?

Thanks
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Inclined plane - angle

Post by Unome »

Since there is no mechanical advantage with a 90 degree inclined plane, as the motion and force when using the machine is the same as just lifting an object 10 cm, I'd think most event supervisors wouldn't count it as a simple machine (hence it couldn't be used in a transfer for points).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Northridge
Has thanked: 0

Re: Inclined plane - angle

Post by Northridge »

MissionPossibleCoach wrote:If we have an inclined plane at 90 Degree angle, is it considered an inclined plane? Also if it we are able to pull an object up this 90 Degree plane by 10 cm, does that satisfy the rules for it to be an inclined plane?

Thanks
This is not the place for official clarifications, and I would encourage you to file one, however, having said that I would not count it. Since there is no mechanical advantage, it is not a simple machine/inclined plane.

Return to “Mission Possible B”