Flag raising and pulley

sciguy polo22
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Flag raising and pulley

Post by sciguy polo22 »

Will a pulley with ima>2 count for scoring if using to raise the flagpole? The distance from resting parallel to the ground and where it is attached to the flagpole when fully raised is 11 cm. Also, since the flag is the finial task, and the height can go beyond the 60 cm, will the height raised even count or does another pulley need to be used somewhere else?
torqueburner
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Flag raising and pulley

Post by torqueburner »

sciguy polo22 wrote:Will a pulley with ima>2 count for scoring if using to raise the flagpole? The distance from resting parallel to the ground and where it is attached to the flagpole when fully raised is 11 cm. Also, since the flag is the finial task, and the height can go beyond the 60 cm, will the height raised even count or does another pulley need to be used somewhere else?
The task you describe, pulley raising the flagpole, would score 250 points as the final task, if successful, but no transfer points, as the pulley is not transferring to another simple machine. If you look at the final step in the sample TSL, you'll see this to the case.
kidcoder923
Been thanked: 0

Post by kidcoder923 »

are you talking about the simple machine to a pully?
goodcheer
Division: B
State: KY

Post by goodcheer »

sciguy polo22 wrote:Will a pulley with ima>2 count for scoring if using to raise the flagpole? The distance from resting parallel to the ground and where it is attached to the flagpole when fully raised is 11 cm. Also, since the flag is the finial task, and the height can go beyond the 60 cm, will the height raised even count or does another pulley need to be used somewhere else?

I can imagine a pulley raising a lever and getting points for pulley to lever transfer, even if this is also final task. I see nothing in rules to prevent this, but this might need official clarification. The example in the sample TSL does not get the transfer points because it is not listed as a transfer. The sample TSL ends very vaguely (perhaps on purpose). How would the golf ball push up the flag? I can see a golf ball pushing on one end of a lever and the lever lifting the flag. If listed this way, it seems one could then have a wedge to lever transfer. Also, better to observe wording in the rules of lifting or raising of the flag rather than pushing as sample TSL states.

So, given that the idea you have might work, I would say your questions are a little confusing. Are you using the pulley as the second part of a transfer (say wheel and axle to pulley to final task) or are you wanting to use it to begin a transfer (say pulley to lever that lifts flag)? Either way, I think you will have to observe the height rule of 10cm or more for the pulley to count. Also, the pulley ima has to be greater than 1, so the ima can actually be greater than or equal to 2. I am guessing you are wanting to use pulley with ima=2 to raise the flagpole which is used as a third class lever which then raises the flag which is attached to the load end of the lever? The distance from where the pulley string is attached to the lever (effort) to where the flag is (load) you say is 11 cm? So, it seems you would be raising the flag 11 cm which seems it would meet the 10 cm requirement. Note, that would get you pulley points, but for the final task, the flag must be lifted or raised entirely above the device. So make sure the flagpole/lever is long enough to do this. Great idea, hope you can get it to work.

Return to “Mission Possible B”