Just starting Mission Possible B for 2017

jpwnng
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Just starting Mission Possible B for 2017

Post by jpwnng »

I'm a new coach to Mission Possible B for 2017 and just getting started. Can anyone offer me suggestions on how to get started? I just need the very basics first on how to begin student discussions on this event. Also what basic materials should I start gathering and where is the best place to find materials? Any feedback is much appreciated!
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Just starting Mission Possible B for 2017

Post by Unome »

First: how much prior experience do you have with Science Olympiad? (there are others that can answer your question better than I, but this info will definitely help them do it better; I just popped in to say this)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
jpwnng
Been thanked: 0

Post by jpwnng »

I have zero (none) experience with prior Science Olypiad events.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

jpwnng wrote:I have zero (none) experience with prior Science Olypiad events.
First thing to always do in SO: Read the event rules
Second thing to do: Re-read the event rules.

Seriously.. far too many people jump in head first and don't understand all the nuances of the rules. They then end up wasting time, materials, money building stuff out of spec.

Also, check out the official soinc.org website, as each event has a page dedicated to it with resources and links. You can also search on Youtube for videos of other mission possible devices (just be careful as the rules change each year, so what you see might not quite be in spec with the current rules.)

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

jpwnng wrote:I'm a new coach to Mission Possible B for 2017 and just getting started. Can anyone offer me suggestions on how to get started? I just need the very basics first on how to begin student discussions on this event. Also what basic materials should I start gathering and where is the best place to find materials? Any feedback is much appreciated!
As stated, reading and re-reading the rules is huge with all events, but especially Mission - there's so much detail, and you'll need to understand it to do well.

Practically speaking, getting started involves two things - what are you going to do, and what are the kids going to do. My suggestions (and I'm a novice myself) -

Students: they should first understand the basic principles behind the different simple machines, know what mechanical advantage means (not just what it is/how to calculate). Then, have them brainstorm or find examples of common simple machines. Encourage them to bring in any "stuff" that they could use to build simple machines - think old toy sets, Legos, etc. Tinkering is a critical first step before any real designing/planning/building can happen.

Coaches: after reading the rules and all of the documents on soinc.org, take an inventory of whatever supply closet is available. See what sort of hardware is available, what simple machines/physics kits are on hand, what tools are available for building. Pegboard is a popular material to work with. You'll notice most devices are essentially a "box" with transfers built into it - depending on your situation, you may need to assist with constructing that box.

As you'll soon find, every additional energy transfer you add will increase the complexity of the device, and increase the probability that it doesn't work correctly. I'd suggest: build the start task, build the final task, build an adjustable timing mechanism - and once you've got those basics down, you'll have learned enough to take it from there as far as you can go!
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Also, another fairly important piece of information; what are you aiming for this season? Do decently at regionals, medal at state/nationals? Also, when is your regional tournament? In three days (like me), or in six weeks?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
goodcheer
Division: B
State: KY

Post by goodcheer »

jpwnng wrote:I'm a new coach to Mission Possible B for 2017 and just getting started. Can anyone offer me suggestions on how to get started? I just need the very basics first on how to begin student discussions on this event. Also what basic materials should I start gathering and where is the best place to find materials? Any feedback is much appreciated!

In my experience, you have to do MP one step at a time. Get the starting task done, make sure it works without fail, then proceed to the next step. Ask yourself at each step, now, what can the end of the last step do to begin the next step. If your start task is to pull the plunger back and strike a ball, try to determine what you can get the ball to do...and so on. Try to make it simple and make sure each step works well before proceeding to the next. Also, try to conserve space as you go along because you want to keep adding steps up to the maximum amount.

As for materials, we have used one-half inch OSB board (aka wafer board) to build the box, leaving out one side and the top. OSB does not attach to itself very well, but you can attach a strip of one-inch by one-inch board to the edges where the OSB meets using screws. A cordless drill/driver is probably the most important tool to use: drill a hole, drive a screw (its easy to split small pieces of wood unless you drill a hole). The next important tool would probably be a saw (power saws ok for some pieces, but handsaws like hacksaw or coping saw for small pieces). Note: MP is great opportunity to teach kids how to use tools safely and efficiently.

You can make your own levers out of small pieces of wood. Drill a hole in the lever and attach it to the device where you need it with a screw. You can make pulleys out of various objects like thread spools or get some good metal ones at a hardware store: they have eyes at the top where you can attach them to the device where needed (good to buy). Wedges and inclined planes can be made out of wood. Screws are a challenge. We have used plastic ones found in various toys, because they have very coarse threads, so when they are turned, objects move along faster and farther. If you use a metal screw such as a wood screw, it has to be turned many times to move the objects enough to score. A wheel and axle can be made out of something like fishing line spool: use dowel rod as axle, attach it with screw (use drill and small screw).

Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Return to “Mission Possible B”