Counting transfers and time users

CoachK
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Counting transfers and time users

Post by CoachK »

Hello - I apologize as I am a brand new coach and just trying to do the best I can for these kids. Their questions are:

1) Simple machine to time waster to simple machine - that would or would not count for a transfer (albeit an elongated one). For example, if they had a lever that knocked into a marble which ran on a track for a bit, which then initiated a pulley - would the Lever to Pulley transfer count??? I'm thinking no, but it would be sweet if it did!

2) For the 3 lever bonus to count, does the transfer have to be a success? So, if the 3rd class lever goes to a pulley, but the pulley fails to lift 10cm, will it count or not?

3) Also, even if the flag is a lever, that transfer to it doesn't count for the 50 points, just the 250 end task points, correct?

Thank you so much!! Your input is greatly appreciated!
goodcheer
Division: B
State: KY

Re: Counting transfers and time users

Post by goodcheer »

CoachK wrote:Hello - I apologize as I am a brand new coach and just trying to do the best I can for these kids. Their questions are:

1) Simple machine to time waster to simple machine - that would or would not count for a transfer (albeit an elongated one). For example, if they had a lever that knocked into a marble which ran on a track for a bit, which then initiated a pulley - would the Lever to Pulley transfer count??? I'm thinking no, but it would be sweet if it did!

2) For the 3 lever bonus to count, does the transfer have to be a success? So, if the 3rd class lever goes to a pulley, but the pulley fails to lift 10cm, will it count or not?

3) Also, even if the flag is a lever, that transfer to it doesn't count for the 50 points, just the 250 end task points, correct?

Thank you so much!! Your input is greatly appreciated!
Notice: I plan to offer my opinion about these questions, but without official clarification, it is just my opinion (with only 12 years experience).

(1) Lever to pulley should count even with time waster. Seems to me it would not be any different (with respect to transfer from one simple machine to another) if lever struck marble and marble initiated pulley immediately or if marble rolled around for x sec.
(2) There was a lot of discussion about scoring of transfers last year. This would be a good FAQ to get official clarification on. I can see it going either way depending on the judges. The safest course would be to make sure both simple machines in a transfer worked properly. Rule 5k says, "50 points for each unique SMT successfully completed as described."
(3) Again, could go either way, might need official clarification. But, imo, if it meets requirements of a lever, seems like it could count as second part of a transfer in addition to it being the final task.
science_nerd_girl
State: MA

Post by science_nerd_girl »

My partner and I are on Mission Possible for states, (which is 3 weeks from now) and we had a question about the tasks and how many we can have. The rules say that there is a maximum of 18 tasks and 900 pts, with each task being 50 pts. We were wondering if the 18 tasks include the start and end task, or if you can have 18, plus the start and end. Also, does the 900 points include the points from the start and end task, or just the simple machine transfers. This is kind of time sensitive, please help :)
2017 events
Mission Possible B
WIDI B
Scrambler B
2016 events
WIDI B
Bottle Rockets B
Crime Busters B
Northridge

Post by Northridge »

science_nerd_girl wrote:My partner and I are on Mission Possible for states, (which is 3 weeks from now) and we had a question about the tasks and how many we can have. The rules say that there is a maximum of 18 tasks and 900 pts, with each task being 50 pts. We were wondering if the 18 tasks include the start and end task, or if you can have 18, plus the start and end. Also, does the 900 points include the points from the start and end task, or just the simple machine transfers. This is kind of time sensitive, please help :)
The 18 tasks you are talking about are the simple machine steps in between the start and finish. Each simple machine can be used to initiate 3 steps each that count for points for a total of 18 steps that count for points that involve simple machines.
science_nerd_girl
State: MA

Post by science_nerd_girl »

Northridge wrote:
science_nerd_girl wrote:My partner and I are on Mission Possible for states, (which is 3 weeks from now) and we had a question about the tasks and how many we can have. The rules say that there is a maximum of 18 tasks and 900 pts, with each task being 50 pts. We were wondering if the 18 tasks include the start and end task, or if you can have 18, plus the start and end. Also, does the 900 points include the points from the start and end task, or just the simple machine transfers. This is kind of time sensitive, please help :)
The 18 tasks you are talking about are the simple machine steps in between the start and finish. Each simple machine can be used to initiate 3 steps each that count for points for a total of 18 steps that count for points that involve simple machines.
Ohhhh! I get it now. Thanks for the help :)
2017 events
Mission Possible B
WIDI B
Scrambler B
2016 events
WIDI B
Bottle Rockets B
Crime Busters B

Return to “Mission Possible B”