Plunger w/o spring

TJ_Jadem
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Plunger w/o spring

Post by TJ_Jadem »

How do I make a plunger without a spring? Is it possible?
patent_girl

Re: Plunger w/o spring

Post by patent_girl »

So - my son's team is competing tomorrow and we'll have to see how it works out, but they built a plunger out of binder clips, some elastics, and an unsharpened pencil.

Here is a link to a picture of it https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/635 ... lunger.jpg

They pull back on the pencil gently and it springs forward to hit a marble that starts the action by rolling down a ramp, etc. They based the idea off of a pencil gun/shooter from the "mini weapons of mass destruction" series of books (I think volume 2), but added/changed elastics to limit the how much the pencil goes back. They also had to reinforce the rest of their design (it is all Legos) to compensate for the force of pulling the pencil back. There are smaller binder clips (3 I think) inside the larger ones, to form a channel just big enough to hold the pencil. And they removed the binder clips metal prong parts.

It is basically built like this, only they adapted it to just have a pencil pop out a little bit when the elastic is pulled back (like a plunger). Here are instructions that are basically like the book: http://www.officeguns.com/gunadv_super_maul.html
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Plunger w/o spring

Post by NeilMehta »

The only alternative that comes to mind is to use a portion of a cut rubber band to pull back and release a dowel
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

Return to “Mission Possible B”