bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Mission Possible B

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
chalker
State: OH

Re: Mission Possible B

Post by chalker »

We've posted a minor rules clarification related to Mission Possible:
https://www.soinc.org/official_rules_clarif

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Kordo
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Kordo »

In the example of the TSL you state on page two that "tasks 4, 6, and 10 use three different types of lever, earning the 50 bonus points" but task 6 is not a scoring transfer. In 5.l. it states "initiate different scorable transfers". 12 is a scorable transfer using 1st class, shouldn't the second page read "tasks 4, 10, and 12 use three...? I am running this event in less than a week and want to make sure someone doesn't try to use the TSL as justification for usin a nonscorable transfer as one of their three levers. Thanks.
chalker

Post by chalker »

Kordo wrote:In the example of the TSL you state on page two that "tasks 4, 6, and 10 use three different types of lever, earning the 50 bonus points" but task 6 is not a scoring transfer. In 5.l. it states "initiate different scorable transfers". 12 is a scorable transfer using 1st class, shouldn't the second page read "tasks 4, 10, and 12 use three...? I am running this event in less than a week and want to make sure someone doesn't try to use the TSL as justification for usin a nonscorable transfer as one of their three levers. Thanks.

I think you're correct. I'll ask them to look at this more closely and update it.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
kendreaditya
State: PA

Post by kendreaditya »

Are you allowed to have the same transfers to the same simple machine and would it count for points. I couldn't find this in the rules but I remember reading it. Example: Wheel and Axle to Incline Plain to Pulley to Wheel and Axle to Incline Plain. The transfers are not repeated right after each other, so would be get points for them? :?:
MaeleeB
Division: B
State: CA

Post by MaeleeB »

In the rules, part 4e, it basically says that in order for a transfer to count for points, it must be unique, meaning you can use the same transfer twice, but you can't count it for points. :geek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :geek:
MissionPossibleCoach

Post by MissionPossibleCoach »

Is there any rule that says the first use of the Simple machine should be counted towards points? Sample TSL has an L1 to IP transfer at No. 6. But there is no points listed. Instead No.12, L1 to W is used for points. Is it students wish on what they list as scorable transfer or is there any rule to say the first instance of simple machine should be used for scorable transfer?

Thanks
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

MissionPossibleCoach wrote:Is there any rule that says the first use of the Simple machine should be counted towards points? Sample TSL has an L1 to IP transfer at No. 6. But there is no points listed. Instead No.12, L1 to W is used for points. Is it students wish on what they list as scorable transfer or is there any rule to say the first instance of simple machine should be used for scorable transfer?

Thanks
From what I recall (this is just off the top of my head) generally competitors get points for whatever they list on the TSL; it's usually not restricted like that (although it may have changed, the info I remember is from the early 2000s).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
torqueburner
State: PA

Post by torqueburner »

MissionPossibleCoach wrote:Is there any rule that says the first use of the Simple machine should be counted towards points? Sample TSL has an L1 to IP transfer at No. 6. But there is no points listed. Instead No.12, L1 to W is used for points. Is it students wish on what they list as scorable transfer or is there any rule to say the first instance of simple machine should be used for scorable transfer?

Thanks
As a Mission Possible supervisor, I'd decide that it would make no difference whether the first or second instance of a transfer from the same simple machine was the one that was counted for points. But another question this raises about step 12 in the sample TSL is that step 12 ends with a wedge, which starts stop 13. Yet there appears to be no mention of a wedge in the action/transfer description descriptions. Does the mass contact a wedge at the top of the plane, separating the golf ball from its supporting surface and causing it to roll down the ramp? Likewise, notice that step 9 ends with a wedge, whereas step 10 starts with a 3rd class lever. You might imagine that the hammer is the lever, but shouldn't there be a wedge to lever transfer between these lines?

You'll notice that for a number of days, the link to the sample TSL has been replaced with "Sample Task Sequence List (TSL) for 2017 - updating....". We'll hope that the previous sample TSL will soon be replaced with a revised TSL that answers these questions. . .
ztimler

Post by ztimler »

Can a transfer be considered for the action that raises the flag? Ex flag is on an axle and the axle rotates the flag and it comes up as the final task.

Return to “Mission Possible B”