Mission Possible B

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Mission Possible B

Post by Unome »

ztimler wrote:Can a transfer be considered for the action that raises the flag? Ex flag is on an axle and the axle rotates the flag and it comes up as the final task.
In this case, what would be the starting and ending simple machines for your transfer?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
MissionPossibleCoach
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MissionPossibleCoach »

Similar Question.

Flag posts can be a lever. So if the transfer is from Wedge, wedging a ball tied to a FlagPost (L3) raising a flag, can it be treated both as a Wedge --> L3 Transfer and also as the final Task?

Thanks
mderoller

Post by mderoller »

torqueburner wrote:
MissionPossibleCoach wrote:Is there any rule that says the first use of the Simple machine should be counted towards points? Sample TSL has an L1 to IP transfer at No. 6. But there is no points listed. Instead No.12, L1 to W is used for points. Is it students wish on what they list as scorable transfer or is there any rule to say the first instance of simple machine should be used for scorable transfer?

Thanks
As a Mission Possible supervisor, I'd decide that it would make no difference whether the first or second instance of a transfer from the same simple machine was the one that was counted for points. But another question this raises about step 12 in the sample TSL is that step 12 ends with a wedge, which starts stop 13. Yet there appears to be no mention of a wedge in the action/transfer description descriptions. Does the mass contact a wedge at the top of the plane, separating the golf ball from its supporting surface and causing it to roll down the ramp? Likewise, notice that step 9 ends with a wedge, whereas step 10 starts with a 3rd class lever. You might imagine that the hammer is the lever, but shouldn't there be a wedge to lever transfer between these lines?

You'll notice that for a number of days, the link to the sample TSL has been replaced with "Sample Task Sequence List (TSL) for 2017 - updating....". We'll hope that the previous sample TSL will soon be replaced with a revised TSL that answers these questions. . .
Hi, when should we expect to see the 2017 sample TSL? Apologies if this is answered elsewhere. Thank you.

Mark
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

mderoller wrote:
Hi, when should we expect to see the 2017 sample TSL? Apologies if this is answered elsewhere. Thank you.

Mark
Whenever you go to the Mission Possible event page on soinc.org:
https://www.soinc.org/mission-possible-b

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
goodcheer
Division: B
State: KY

Post by goodcheer »

MissionPossibleCoach wrote:Similar Question.

Flag posts can be a lever. So if the transfer is from Wedge, wedging a ball tied to a FlagPost (L3) raising a flag, can it be treated both as a Wedge --> L3 Transfer and also as the final Task?

Thanks
That seems to be a common question raised in several threads, perhaps a good question to ask for FAQ clarification. I don't see why it couldn't be listed as both, imo.
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by NeilMehta »

goodcheer wrote:
MissionPossibleCoach wrote:Similar Question.

Thanks
That seems to be a common question raised in several threads, perhaps a good question to ask for FAQ clarification. I don't see why it couldn't be listed as both, imo.
We counted it only as the final task, not as an L3.
I'm pretty sure you can't get points for both, but I might be wrong.
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
crimebuster1

Post by crimebuster1 »

im new to mission possible and have to make one by states, would someone tell me what the the three levels of levers are (if that is what it's called)
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

crimebuster1 wrote:im new to mission possible and have to make one by states, would someone tell me what the the three levels of levers are (if that is what it's called)
The three classes of levers are 1st class, where the fulcrum is in the middle; 2nd class, where the load is in the middle; and 3rd class, where the input force is in the middle.

Good luck; Mission is tough, but also very fun.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “Mission Possible B”