scrambler start

AFscienceO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

scrambler start

Post by AFscienceO »

Are you allowed to start off center to avoid the bucket?
If not, how do you get around it and back?
AFscienceO

scrambler rule 2c

Post by AFscienceO »

according to rule 2c, the conbinded masses must not exceed 2 kilograms. does that include the etv or is it just the falling mass(s).
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: scrambler rule 2c

Post by Unome »

AFscienceO wrote:according to rule 2c, the conbinded masses must not exceed 2 kilograms. does that include the etv or is it just the falling mass(s).
So long as your ETV is not falling, as in rolling down a ramp (this is a viable strategy, though it may be illegal this year; check the rules to be sure), then it's probably not part of the mass. Generally in these cases, anything that contributes to the vehicle's motion is considered part of the mass. The word "combined" is most likely meant to cover instances where a team using several masses simultaneously, or where the ETV is part of the mass (e.g. a ramp launcher).
BDake

Re: scrambler start

Post by BDake »

AFscienceO wrote:Are you allowed to start off center to avoid the bucket?
In Rule 3a, it defines the Start Point as marked on an approx. 2.5cm x 5cm long piece of tape centered between the Track Width Lines

In Rule 5e, it states "The pointed tip of the egg must start on the Start Point"

I would unofficially conclude from those two statements that you cannot start off center to avoid the bucket.

You would have to design your vehicle to travel in an arc path going around the bucket and returning back to the center line as best as possible.
AFscienceO

Post by AFscienceO »

BDake wrote:
AFscienceO wrote:Are you allowed to start off center to avoid the bucket?
In Rule 3a, it defines the Start Point as marked on an approx. 2.5cm x 5cm long piece of tape centered between the Track Width Lines

In Rule 5e, it states "The pointed tip of the egg must start on the Start Point"

I would unofficially conclude from those two statements that you cannot start off center to avoid the bucket.

You would have to design your vehicle to travel in an arc path going around the bucket and returning back to the center line as best as possible.
i now think that the start line extends completely through the track width, allowing the scrambler to start off center.
SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

AFscienceO wrote: i now think that the start line extends completely through the track width, allowing the scrambler to start off center.
https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... _Track.pdf

No off-center starting. As stated above, rule 3.a (illustrated in the track diagram I linked to) and rule 5.e make it so you must start with the egg in the middle of the track. You can, however, angle the vehicle around that point.
AFscienceO

Post by AFscienceO »

SPP SciO wrote:
AFscienceO wrote: i now think that the start line extends completely through the track width, allowing the scrambler to start off center.

No off-center starting. As stated above, rule 3.a (illustrated in the track diagram I linked to) and rule 5.e make it so you must start with the egg in the middle of the track. You can, however, angle the vehicle around that point.
then how are you suppose to turn to avoid the bucket and/or the side boundaries?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

AFscienceO wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:

then how are you suppose to turn to avoid the bucket and/or the side boundaries?
Your Scrambler can start turned and be designed to curve, it just has to start with the front of the egg of the Start Point.
keepfast

Rule 5e

Post by keepfast »

"5e. The pointed tip of the egg must start on the Start Point. Other parts of the Scrambler (except the egg)may be in front of the Start Point and oriented any way in the ready-to-run position. See www.soinc.org.

Does this mean that the 'launcher' can be in front of the Start Point (starting line) and that the egg's tip needs to be on the Start Point? And, can the launcher be tilted?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Rule 5e

Post by bernard »

keepfast wrote:"5e. The pointed tip of the egg must start on the Start Point. Other parts of the Scrambler (except the egg)may be in front of the Start Point and oriented any way in the ready-to-run position. See http://www.soinc.org.

Does this mean that the 'launcher' can be in front of the Start Point (starting line) and that the egg's tip needs to be on the Start Point? And, can the launcher be tilted?
Yes.

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “Scrambler B”