Scrambler B

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Scrambler B

Postby bernard » June 16th, 2016, 10:00 pm

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Gigaplayer
State: -

Re: Scrambler B

Postby Gigaplayer » September 21st, 2016, 7:11 pm

are we allowed to tape the egg to the machine

SenseiSushi
Division: C
State: PA

Postby SenseiSushi » September 21st, 2016, 7:24 pm

Gigaplayer wrote:are we allowed to tape the egg to the machine

The event supervisor should supply you with tape to attach the egg to your vehicle.
Userpage
2014 States: R&M-4th, Sounds of Music-5th
2015 States: Crime Busters-2nd, Green Gen-2nd
2015 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
2015 Swap Meet: Cheese Hat
2016 States: Green Gen-1st, Exp Des-5th, Scrambler-6th
2016 Nationals: Green Generation-1st

Zioly
Division: B

Postby Zioly » September 29th, 2016, 5:39 pm

I'm a little confused by the bucket that's supposed to be in the center of the track's length.

I do know it is supposed to be in the middle of the track's variable length, meaning, the run distance, but is the bucket also in the middle of the track's 2 meter width?
Does the bucket entail a bonus if we go around it, or is it a mandatory component of the track, so that all competitors will have to steer around it? Finally, if it is an optional bucket bonus, similar to Air Trajectory's bucket shot (aahh, Air Trajectory), would the bucket be removed if not being attempted?

And finally, how would you guys go about curving around the bucket? I'm curious to see how one would do that, and accurately stop at the center of the TB.
2017 Nats Div. B
Bottle Rockets: 5th
Ecology: 9th
Hovercraft: 14th
Scrambler: 29th (with a failed run too ;))

Inglemoor High School 2018 Div. C
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology
Experimental Design (or other inquiry :P)

...Yes, my profile picture is G2 apEX at the PGL Major Qual. :lol:

Person
State: -

Postby Person » September 29th, 2016, 5:44 pm

Zioly wrote:I'm a little confused by the bucket that's supposed to be in the center of the track's length.

I do know it is supposed to be in the middle of the track's variable length, meaning, the run distance, but is the bucket also in the middle of the track's 2 meter width?
Does the bucket entail a bonus if we go around it, or is it a mandatory component of the track, so that all competitors will have to steer around it? Finally, if it is an optional bucket bonus, similar to Air Trajectory's bucket shot (aahh, Air Trajectory), would the bucket be removed if not being attempted?

And finally, how would you guys go about curving around the bucket? I'm curious to see how one would do that, and accurately stop at the center of the TB.

C Division Scrambler a few years back had something similar you might want to read into: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=5907&start=30
I am a Person.
Past events: Solar Systems, Crave the Wave, ENTOMOLOGY, Dynamic Planet, Scrambler, Invasive Species, Forensics, Hydrogeology, Optics, Herpetology, Astronomy, Remote Sensing
#TehEntoCult ENTO IS LUV ENTO IS LYFE
Most Original Username 2016, 2017, 2018
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

Kenshi Takahashi
State: CA

Postby Kenshi Takahashi » September 29th, 2016, 7:11 pm

This Energy Propulsion System appeared extremely efficient; I'm a little lost though on how it works and what the long diagonal of rubber is. Does anyone understand what's going on here?
TPHS SciOly Coordinator 2018-19

2019 Events: Herpetology, Sounds of Music

bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Postby bernard » September 29th, 2016, 7:49 pm

Kenshi Takahashi wrote:This Energy Propulsion System appeared extremely efficient; I'm a little lost though on how it works and what the long diagonal of rubber is. Does anyone understand what's going on here?

I might understand how it works...

This is a spring launcher, and the rubber is the spring. It starts relaxed (to follow rules), and is stretched as the mass falls. The whole time, a bow release holds the cart in place so the string attached to the rubber that is pulling on the cart doesn't displace the cart. Finally, when the mass hits its lowest point, it triggers the bow release, releasing the string, allowing it to displace the cart.

I'll make some CAD for this launcher and cart when I have time.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Kenshi Takahashi

Postby Kenshi Takahashi » September 29th, 2016, 8:17 pm

bernard wrote:
Kenshi Takahashi wrote:This Energy Propulsion System appeared extremely efficient; I'm a little lost though on how it works and what the long diagonal of rubber is. Does anyone understand what's going on here?

This is a spring launcher, and the rubber is the spring. It starts relaxed (to follow rules), and is stretched as the mass falls. The whole time, a bow release holds the cart in place so the string attached to the rubber that is pulling on the cart doesn't displace the cart. Finally, when the mass hits its lowest point, it triggers the bow release, releasing the string, allowing it to displace the cart.

Thank you so much for the response :)

Ah, so it is similar to this design? Except rather than a hook being lifted when the mass reaches its lowest point, the archery release is activated? If so then how/why is the rubber band placed in that way?

bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Postby bernard » September 29th, 2016, 8:42 pm

Kenshi Takahashi wrote:
bernard wrote:

Ah, so it is similar to this design? Except rather than a hook being lifted when the mass reaches its lowest point, the archery release is activated? If so then how/why is the rubber band placed in that way?

Yes, you've identified one difference (the hook vs. archery release). The other difference is the location of the rubber band. In mine, (oh, I should mention that I made the device in the video) the spring (rubber band) is above the vehicle. This avoids it contacting the ground (which is one of the rules).

Kenshi Takahashi

Postby Kenshi Takahashi » September 29th, 2016, 10:15 pm

bernard wrote:
Kenshi Takahashi wrote:
bernard wrote:I might understand how it works...

Yes, you've identified one difference (the hook vs. archery release). The other difference is the location of the rubber band. In mine, (oh, I should mention that I made the device in the video) the spring (rubber band) is above the vehicle. This avoids it contacting the ground (which is one of the rules).

Oh OK. It looks like Harriton High School at the beginning of the video did something similar. I'm still a little confused on how the band displaces the cart; I think it's sorta like a catapult or slingshot?. I probably saw wrong but it looked as if the rubber band was attached to the front of the ETV. How does the elastic potential energy get converted into forward motion (KE) of the car? If the band was attached to the front of the ETV wouldn't the car lift up vertically?

What I'm trying to say is, how does the rubber band displace the cart if it's above the vehicle and pulling vertically upwards/back? Basically what would be the setup of the strings/pulleys and when does the string change from normal string to rubber band? I was a little confused about the pulley and hooking of the spring at the back wheel of the Scrambler in this design, and where the archery release would go if the location of the rubber band was different; does the release just simply clip onto the back of the ETV?

Also is there a specific archery release you'd recommend or does anything go ^^
Sorry for the endless flow of questions :) this is my first year on the event.

dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Postby dragonfruit35 » September 30th, 2016, 8:20 pm

Zioly wrote:I'm a little confused by the bucket that's supposed to be in the center of the track's length.

I did Wheeled Vehicle in 2015, and you had to go around a bucket in that too. Based on that and having read over this year's Scrambler rules:
-Yes, the bucket will be in the center of the 2 meter width.
-There is no bonus for the bucket- if you didn't get around it, you wouldn't hit 8.5 meters, thus you'd have a Failed Run.
-The bucket is a mandatory component and will not be removed.

Also, when I did Wheeled Vehicle, we made an adjustable attachment for one side of the front axle and set it at an angle that allowed it to curve back when started at a certain angle determined through testing. Of course, some of this would be different due to the nature of the launch of the ETV (externally) as opposed to that of a Wheeled Vehicle (from in the vehicle).

Hope I helped. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me :)

Last Year: (VT/ FFX/ Reg/ State/Nats)
Mousetrap 1/1/5/-/- Mission 3/4/4/-/- Herp 7/2/4/-/-
WiFi -/-/-/4/13 Indoor Bottle Rocket -/-/-/1/- Codebusters -/-/-/-/1
This Year: (Duke/Reg/???)
Mousetrap ?/?/? Mission ?/?/? Sounds ?/?/? Codebusters ?/?/?
Gooooooo Colonials!

Kenshi Takahashi

Postby Kenshi Takahashi » October 2nd, 2016, 9:58 am

Back again with another question...
How would we get our ETV to curve such as in this video? I tried using a search function on previous Scrambler threads and found something like this, so would you make adjustable wheel angle things for the front axle, the brakes on the back axle, and tilt your energy propulsion system?

dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Postby dragonfruit35 » October 2nd, 2016, 10:59 am

Kenshi Takahashi wrote:Back again with another question...
How would we get our ETV to curve such as in this video? I tried using a search function on previous Scrambler threads and found something like this, so would you make adjustable wheel angle things for the front axle, the brakes on the back axle, and tilt your energy propulsion system?

You wouldn't necessarily need to tilt your propulsion system so much as the launcher itself the way I'm thinking about it. Or simply the ETV within the launcher...

Last Year: (VT/ FFX/ Reg/ State/Nats)
Mousetrap 1/1/5/-/- Mission 3/4/4/-/- Herp 7/2/4/-/-
WiFi -/-/-/4/13 Indoor Bottle Rocket -/-/-/1/- Codebusters -/-/-/-/1
This Year: (Duke/Reg/???)
Mousetrap ?/?/? Mission ?/?/? Sounds ?/?/? Codebusters ?/?/?
Gooooooo Colonials!

bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Postby bernard » October 2nd, 2016, 11:13 am

Kenshi Takahashi wrote:Back again with another question...

The diagram shows an approach that is unnecessarily complex. Here are pictures of the vehicle in the video: http://scioly.club/archive/interlake/im ... scrambler/.

retired1
State: FL

Postby retired1 » October 2nd, 2016, 11:41 am

The design of the unit and car are extremely well thought out. Also very nicely built.

Return to “Scrambler B”