Scrambler B

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Scrambler B

Post by chalker »

sciencekid7 wrote:Is there, or can anyone post, the scoring spreadsheet for this year? There was one last year, but not for this year at https://www.soinc.org/scrambler_b
Hmmm.. I thought we had already posted it. I'll check and see why it isn't up yet.
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

Unome wrote:
homeudream wrote:I just found bonus score at wiki page but not on the official rule book. Do we have the bonus rule now?

"The Bonus Score is -100 and is earned if the competitors can successfully pass their ETV around the left side of a #3 can (placed halfway along the track to the terminal barrier, offset .5 meters left of the center of the track) while remaining within the track the entire run."

Thanks a lot!
That info may be from 2015, since that's when a lot of the Scrambler wiki was written (I don't know for sure, and don't have rules with me right now).
Nope, there was no can last year. If it's not in your rule book, though, it likely is not accurate indfo.
SOPomo
Has thanked: 0

Post by SOPomo »

chalker wrote:
sciencekid7 wrote:Is there, or can anyone post, the scoring spreadsheet for this year? There was one last year, but not for this year at https://www.soinc.org/scrambler_b
Hmmm.. I thought we had already posted it. I'll check and see why it isn't up yet.
We just ran this event at the Churchill Invitational without a scoring spreadsheet but the overall checklist for each car. Accuracy seemed to be way more important than time this year without the time multiplier. However, penalties were really what separated everyone. Even one penalty was extremely disqualifying for medals, since one competition penalty (not going 8.5m or going outside the side 2-m boundary lines being the most common) netted you 1000 points. Only three teams didn't get a penalty. Fourth only got an incomplete log penalty, and 5th on had at least one penalty. 5th would have won without it. Scores were something like 25, 37, 52, 310, 1015. And it only got higher from there.
sciencekid7
Been thanked: 0

Post by sciencekid7 »

SOPomo wrote:
chalker wrote:
We just ran this event at the Churchill Invitational without a scoring spreadsheet but the overall checklist for each car. Accuracy seemed to be way more important than time this year without the time multiplier. However, penalties were really what separated everyone. Even one penalty was extremely disqualifying for medals, since one competition penalty (not going 8.5m or going outside the side 2-m boundary lines being the most common) netted you 1000 points. Only three teams didn't get a penalty. Fourth only got an incomplete log penalty, and 5th on had at least one penalty. 5th would have won without it. Scores were something like 25, 37, 52, 310, 1015. And it only got higher from there.
Is it true that there is no time multiplier this year? Will a 2.5s time be only 2.5 points better than a 5s run if everything else is equal? Last year, there was a 10x multiplier which meant that there was a significant benefit to going fast. It would be a shame if there is no multiplier since there is no real benefit to building a faster machine.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

sciencekid7 wrote:
SOPomo wrote:
chalker wrote:
Is it true that there is no time multiplier this year? Will a 2.5s time be only 2.5 points better than a 5s run if everything else is equal? Last year, there was a 10x multiplier which meant that there was a significant benefit to going fast. It would be a shame if there is no multiplier since there is no real benefit to building a faster machine.
I don't have the rules with me right now, but if I remember correctly they removed the 10x multiplier in both Electric Vehicle and Scrambler this year.
SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

sciencekid7 wrote:
Yes. 6.a. - Run Score = Distance Score + Run Time + Penalties, and 5.i. "The Run Time is recorded in seconds to the precision of the timing device used."

So, basically, 1 second = 1 centimeter of accuracy
bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras »

Thanks. It's been posted now on the NSO web page.
SOPomo

Post by SOPomo »

sciencekid7 wrote:
SOPomo wrote:
chalker wrote:
At the Churchill invite, I'm fairly certain time almost did not matter due to no time multiplier. Nobody lost a place due to how long it took them to run it. There weren't any scores that close. There probably will be once it gets to state and national level accuracy across the board, but at an invite this early, scores were fairly spaced out.
Teresa1109
Been thanked: 0

Post by Teresa1109 »

What are some key tips to make your scrambler go faster because I'm struggling on that part. I can make it go but not fast.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Teresa1109 wrote:What are some key tips to make your scrambler go faster because I'm struggling on that part. I can make it go but not fast.
Spring launcher is a big improvement. Work on minimizing energy loss: no rattling axles while the ETV is rolling, axle friction, optimizing springs constants for spring launcher, maximizing the falling mass, etc.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “Scrambler B”