Scrambler B

sciencekid7
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scrambler B

Post by sciencekid7 »

Thanks for the scoring spreadsheet. I now have a question about rule 5.k

"Competition Violations would include... egg breaking on the first or second run..."

Looking at the spreadsheet, it seems to confirm that Competition Violations are specific to the run where a violation on one run does not apply to the other. If the egg breaks on the first run, we don't get a second run. But if the egg breaks on the second run, the violation should not apply to the first run if the first run was successful. Is that right? If so, why is the clause about egg breaking bolded? Is it meant to imply that any egg breaking applies to both runs the way a Construction Violation would?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

sciencekid7 wrote:Thanks for the scoring spreadsheet. I now have a question about rule 5.k

"Competition Violations would include... egg breaking on the first or second run..."

Looking at the spreadsheet, it seems to confirm that Competition Violations are specific to the run where a violation on one run does not apply to the other. If the egg breaks on the first run, we don't get a second run. But if the egg breaks on the second run, the violation should not apply to the first run if the first run was successful. Is that right? If so, why is the clause about egg breaking bolded? Is it meant to imply that any egg breaking applies to both runs the way a Construction Violation would?
Changes in event rules since the last running of the event are bolded. It is to emphasize changes between years, not suggest certain clauses as more important than others.

Section 6. states you have two Run Scores, each calculated from a Distance Score, Run Time, and Penalties (6.a.). Construction Violations (6.e.) and Competition Violations (6.d.) are considered Penalties and are calculated per occurrence (i.e. for each Run Score, and for the number of times a violation occurs).

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Stephen Science

Post by Stephen Science »

Anybody have suggestions on where to test the Scrambler at home?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Stephen Science wrote:Anybody have suggestions on where to test the Scrambler at home?
If you happen to have a very long hallway, that might work. My recommendation is to test it at your school if you can. If you're homeschooled, I've heard that some teams will go to stores late at night to test (would suggest that you arrange it with the store beforehand somehow).
vishravi

Post by vishravi »

Anyone have any ideas as to how you would be able to get around the bucket in the track.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

vishravi wrote:Anyone have any ideas as to how you would be able to get around the bucket in the track.
Launch vehicle at an angle, have one adjustable axle fixed at a very small angle relative to the other non-adjustable axle.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
TheGreatMe

Post by TheGreatMe »

Hi I've had a large confusion on how to build and launch a spring launcher can someone give me an idea or two please.
vishravi

Post by vishravi »

In the spring and pulley launcher, does anyone have ideas as to how you would get the ETV and the string to separate. And anyone have ideas what material you could use for the string. '
kendreaditya
Division: C
State: PA

Post by kendreaditya »

vishravi wrote:In the spring and pulley launcher, does anyone have ideas as to how you would get the ETV and the string to separate. And anyone have ideas what material you could use for the string. '
First off, if you look at nationals most people used rubber band cause its way easier to setup, replace and experiment with. I am personly am using a rubber so I think you would benefit from that!
*String = 50 lb Braided Fishing Line
There is a Helpful video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvgHKsc ... yfY0cS1Aw5

P.S. Watch it in slow-mo
smrt1337
Division: B
State: WI

Post by smrt1337 »

vishravi wrote:In the spring and pulley launcher, does anyone have ideas as to how you would get the ETV and the string to separate. And anyone have ideas what material you could use for the string. '
IMHO this is the easiest setup:https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/File: ... stswim.gif

Return to “Scrambler B”