bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Scrambler B

Post by bernard »

vishravi wrote:Anyone have any ideas as to how you would be able to get around the bucket in the track.
Launch vehicle at an angle, have one adjustable axle fixed at a very small angle relative to the other non-adjustable axle.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
TheGreatMe
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by TheGreatMe »

Hi I've had a large confusion on how to build and launch a spring launcher can someone give me an idea or two please.
vishravi

Post by vishravi »

In the spring and pulley launcher, does anyone have ideas as to how you would get the ETV and the string to separate. And anyone have ideas what material you could use for the string. '
kendreaditya
Division: C
State: PA

Post by kendreaditya »

vishravi wrote:In the spring and pulley launcher, does anyone have ideas as to how you would get the ETV and the string to separate. And anyone have ideas what material you could use for the string. '
First off, if you look at nationals most people used rubber band cause its way easier to setup, replace and experiment with. I am personly am using a rubber so I think you would benefit from that!
*String = 50 lb Braided Fishing Line
There is a Helpful video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvgHKsc ... yfY0cS1Aw5

P.S. Watch it in slow-mo
smrt1337
Division: B
State: WI

Post by smrt1337 »

vishravi wrote:In the spring and pulley launcher, does anyone have ideas as to how you would get the ETV and the string to separate. And anyone have ideas what material you could use for the string. '
IMHO this is the easiest setup:https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/File: ... stswim.gif
kendreaditya
Division: C
State: PA

Post by kendreaditya »

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to align the propulsion system?
SPP SciO
State: NY

Post by SPP SciO »

I think I may be interpreting your question a little differently than above. With any pulley launcher - whether you just use string, or you add some elastic material for a speed boost - you'll need to get a smooth, reliable release each launch.

We've found that the simplest thing is a small (< 5cm) vertical dowel mounted on the rear of the vehicle, and a key ring loop tied to the end of the string. Slide the ring over the dowel before launch, and as the weight falls (or after the trigger is activated, with elastic), the ring will pull the vehicle forwards, until it reaches the front of the launcher. The string will fly upwards (hence: safety goggles!) and the car will pull forward.

Of course, you'll soon find that the egg backstop gets in the way, but if you experiment, you'll find ways to mechanically direct the string to your liking.

We've also found that the simplest strategy for avoiding the bucket is building a slight offset into the front axle, and fixing it there. The only adjustment is made to the launch angle (and the number of axle rotations of course). Draw a giant protractor on a piece of chart paper and tape it to the floor under the launcher while testing.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
rajofin

Post by rajofin »

Hi - The rules mention that no flexible material may be used to make ETV but is it legal to use rubber sleeve for ETV wheels? This is our first time but my friend who has done this in past mentioned they saw several ETVs with rubber sleeves on their CD type wheels. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Also, do you have sample of practice logs? I couldn't find a template that we should use.
SPP SciO
State: NY

Post by SPP SciO »

rajofin wrote:Hi - The rules mention that no flexible material may be used to make ETV but is it legal to use rubber sleeve for ETV wheels? This is our first time but my friend who has done this in past mentioned they saw several ETVs with rubber sleeves on their CD type wheels. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Also, do you have sample of practice logs? I couldn't find a template that we should use.
The "rigid, non-flexible material" refers to the chassis - basically, you can't design the vehicle with "crumple zones" like a car would have to protect the egg. The goal is to stop the car before the barrier, not to use the barrier as a brake and build a cushion to protect the egg. So, yes, rubber on the CD wheels (balloons are popular) is legal and will give you useful extra friction.

As for practice logs, our teams used Launch Angle and # of Axle Rotations as their independent variables, and Forward Distance and Left/Right Off Center distance as their dependent variables.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
smrt1337
State: WI

Post by smrt1337 »

kendreaditya wrote:Does anyone have any suggestion on how to align the propulsion system?
I'm assuming you mean the angle of the launcher. You could use a scope (for guns etc.) and align the crosshairs with some sort of marker you place down the track. You would adjust the launch angle by moving the marker.

Return to “Scrambler B”