Scrambler B

4Head
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scrambler B

Post by 4Head »

kendreaditya wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions to how they angle their propulsion system?
The best way to do it in my experience has been to attach a gun scope to the frame and point it at a marker placed on the track so it launches at a consistent angle every time.
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
kendreaditya
State: PA

Post by kendreaditya »

4Head wrote:
kendreaditya wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions to how they angle their propulsion system?
The best way to do it in my experience has been to attach a gun scope to the frame and point it at a marker placed on the track so it launches at a consistent angle every time.
I don't get it. Can you please explain?
4Head

Post by 4Head »

kendreaditya wrote:
4Head wrote:
I don't get it. Can you please explain?
You need a way to mount a gun scope to your propulsion system. After this you can look through the gun scope and move your launcher to point the scope at different objects. If you place a box or something with a line on it (this would be the marker I'm referring to) at the terminal barrier, you can point the launcher at it by looking through the scope and lining it up. This will create a certain launch angle and you can change it by moving your marker left or right. You can now calibrate your scrambler by testing out different angles.
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
NeBH
Division: Grad
State: ID

Post by NeBH »

Hi! This is my first year going to Nationals, so I have some questions.

The rules say in section 2a, sentence 4,
The backstop must be built of a single piece of rigid material (no soft, cushioning materials e.g. balsa, cork) and it must have a flat surface of 5.0+/- 0.5 cm wide by 5.0+/- 0.5 cm high by 1.27 cm (0.50") +/- 0.5 cm thick, and be rigidly attached to the ETV, and be perpendicular to the floor.
My question is, how rigid is rigid? I understand that the point of this rule is to make sure that if the egg hits the barrier, it goes "Splat!", but, technically, if the backstop moves at all, that makes the egg less likely to break. Where's the line between rigid and not? Is there an informal "standard" to test the "bendy-ness" of the backstop mount?

Sorry for the last-minute barrage of questions! ;)

Thanks!

-NeBH
cheese

Post by cheese »

NeBH wrote:Hi! This is my first year going to Nationals, so I have some questions.

The rules say in section 2a, sentence 4,
The backstop must be built of a single piece of rigid material (no soft, cushioning materials e.g. balsa, cork) and it must have a flat surface of 5.0+/- 0.5 cm wide by 5.0+/- 0.5 cm high by 1.27 cm (0.50") +/- 0.5 cm thick, and be rigidly attached to the ETV, and be perpendicular to the floor.
My question is, how rigid is rigid? I understand that the point of this rule is to make sure that if the egg hits the barrier, it goes "Splat!", but, technically, if the backstop moves at all, that makes the egg less likely to break. Where's the line between rigid and not? Is there an informal "standard" to test the "bendy-ness" of the backstop mount?

Sorry for the last-minute barrage of questions! ;)

Thanks!

-NeBH
It has to be rigid enough that it doesn't cushion the egg if the egg hits something. They basically are saying something ridgid like most types of common wood (pine, maple) or metal. I would go with pine.
Hope that answers your question. Good luck!
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage
NeBH
State: ID

Post by NeBH »

Bye, Scrambler. See you in 2020.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

NeBH wrote:Bye, Scrambler. See you in 2020.
The vehicle rotations have four events, so Scrambler doesn't return until 2022 (in Div C). However, you do get Gravity Vehicle, which is a pretty cool event.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “Scrambler B”