type of bottle

amyfd
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

type of bottle

Post by amyfd »

Hello!
My team has been using Smart Water bottles that are 1.0 liter. The rules state that it should be 1 liter carbonated soda bottles however when looking at the store the coke and sprite bottles are 1.25L. What are you all using? I want to confirm my students won't be disqualified for using the water bottles.
Thanks!
Shchakrabarti

Re: type of bottle

Post by Shchakrabarti »

Hello,
I used a 1-liter carbonated water bottle. You can find these at various stores like Aldi and Walmart. The main reason I am aware after doing this event for 3 years is that they want a carbonated bottle so it can handle the pressure when being launched. They won't let you compete with a normal bottle.
Last edited by Shchakrabarti on January 24th, 2017, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by andrewwski »

Those bottles are absolutely prohibited. If you look at the rules, it says that the bottles have to be from a carbonated beverage. This is for safety.

(1) Bottles for carbonated beverages are designed to withstand higher pressures (as the bottles are pressurized when they are sold - that's the carbonation!)

(2) The bottles for carbonated beverages have a set of bumps in the bottom that should expand (bottom will flatten) before the bottle ruptures. This ensures the bottle won't be overpressurized.
fredspirit2

Post by fredspirit2 »

My team has tried several carbonated bottles. The Schweppes (tonic water, club soda, ginger ale) brand seems to work best for us and fit on our launcher well. We also tried Kroger sparkling water bottles, but they don't seem to work as well on our launcher. Anyone know why?
kinghong1970
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by kinghong1970 »

the lip on water bottles and carbonated bottles are in different positions.
i too was thinking vitamin water bottles are good, slender and still 1L but does not fit on the launcher and when compared to soda bottles, there were on different distance from bottle opening edge.
reed303

Post by reed303 »

Folks,

Please read Rule 3a, which specifically calls for carbonated beverage bottles. Expect water bottles to be disqualified. And you should save the labels, per the rules, to confirm the bottles are carbonated beverage bottles. :!:
Div B Asst Coach 2012-2021
kendreaditya
Division: C
State: PA

Post by kendreaditya »

What was the 2 Liter brown bottle called people used last year at nats, I know that we can only used 1 liter bottles this year.
Zioly
Division: B
State: WA

Post by Zioly »

kendreaditya wrote:What was the 2 Liter brown bottle called people used last year at nats, I know that we can only used 1 liter bottles this year.
From what I heard, Daniel Wright got theirs from a Russian supermarket.
Bottle Rockets: 5th
Ecology: 9th
Hovercraft: 14th
Scrambler: 29th (with a failed run too  ;))
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology
Experimental Design (or other inquiry :P)

...Yes, my profile picture is G2 apEX at the PGL Major Qual.  :lol:
kendreaditya
Division: C
State: PA

Post by kendreaditya »

Zioly wrote:
kendreaditya wrote:What was the 2 Liter brown bottle called people used last year at nats, I know that we can only used 1 liter bottles this year.
From what I heard, Daniel Wright got theirs from a Russian supermarket.
Thank You! ;)

Return to “Bottle Rocket B”