Indoor Bottle Rocket

CVMSAvalacheStudent
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Indoor Bottle Rocket

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

Science Olympiad has announced that they will be replacing Bottle Rocket with Indoor Bottle Rocket in 2018. Here is the draft: https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... 2-8-16.pdf
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
smolblob
Division: B

Re: Indoor Bottle Rocket

Post by smolblob »

idk what to make of this. on one hand, it actually sounds reasonably difficult but you have to consider that it cannot hit the ceiling, and different locations could be really different. what if someone has an amazing rocket but it gets dq'ed in one competition, but first in another (just because of ceiling height)? also- just a general question. i feel like this is a really similar event to rotate out, especially since br has already had three years counting this year... can anyone verify? what event was switched out for br in past years? or was it just never switched out and modified a little (like this year's bottle size change)?
carmel valley middle school!

part-time tiktaalik
ento is my lasaga
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

smolblob wrote:idk what to make of this. on one hand, it actually sounds reasonably difficult but you have to consider that it cannot hit the ceiling, and different locations could be really different. what if someone has an amazing rocket but it gets dq'ed in one competition, but first in another (just because of ceiling height)? also- just a general question. i feel like this is a really similar event to rotate out, especially since br has already had three years counting this year... can anyone verify? what event was switched out for br in past years? or was it just never switched out and modified a little (like this year's bottle size change)?
The rotation for this, and the other Inquiry events that rotate, is rather opaque. It was replaced with Rotor Egg Drop for 2013 and 2014, but it's been in for 3 years since then. Really anyone who isn't involved in the rules committees isn't going to be able to predict the rotations for this.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Zioly
State: WA

Post by Zioly »

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:Science Olympiad has announced that they will be replacing Bottle Rocket with Indoor Bottle Rocket in 2018. Here is the draft: https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... 2-8-16.pdf
Division B or C? I think it's Div B only, right?
Bottle Rockets: 5th
Ecology: 9th
Hovercraft: 14th
Scrambler: 29th (with a failed run too  ;))
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology
Experimental Design (or other inquiry :P)

...Yes, my profile picture is G2 apEX at the PGL Major Qual.  :lol:
smolblob

Post by smolblob »

Zioly wrote:
CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:Science Olympiad has announced that they will be replacing Bottle Rocket with Indoor Bottle Rocket in 2018. Here is the draft: https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... 2-8-16.pdf
Division B or C? I think it's Div B only, right?

I think it would be. If I'm correct, Div C doesn't even have Bottle Rockets.
carmel valley middle school!

part-time tiktaalik
ento is my lasaga
daycd

Post by daycd »

smolblob wrote:but it gets dq'ed in one competition, but first in another (just because of ceiling height).
Every venue will be different and that is part of the challenge. If you read the preliminary rules it says that the ceiling height needs to posted ahead of time. So it will be necessary to calibrate the rocket by changing the mass to get as close to the maximum height that the venue allows.

This reminds me of the NASA challenges for the high school rocketeers. For one of the parameters they need to launch solid fuel rockets that hits a specified altitude (1 mile).

https://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducat ... louds.html

Return to “Bottle Rocket B”