Spin

MaeleeB
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Spin

Post by MaeleeB »

How do you get your rocket to spin? We have tried making a gap between the fins and the bottle, but we still aren't getting good rotation.
kendreaditya
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Spin

Post by kendreaditya »

MaeleeB wrote:How do you get your rocket to spin? We have tried making a gap between the fins and the bottle, but we still aren't getting good rotation.
I don't think the objective is to make your bottle rocket to spin. Nevertheless, if you put your fins on at an angle, the rocket might just spin.
CVMSAvalacheStudent

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

MaeleeB wrote:How do you get your rocket to spin? We have tried making a gap between the fins and the bottle, but we still aren't getting good rotation.
Why do you want your rocket to spin? I saw competitors with rockets that spun and didn't get a good score.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
MaeleeB

Post by MaeleeB »

We are new at this so obviously our understanding was wrong. At the invitationals we have been to the rockets that came down spinning were in the air longer, so we were thinking (perhaps mistakenly) that to increase our time we need spin. That is not the case?
kendreaditya

Post by kendreaditya »

MaeleeB wrote:We are new at this so obviously our understanding was wrong. At the invitationals we have been to the rockets that came down spinning were in the air longer, so we were thinking (perhaps mistakenly) that to increase our time we need spin. That is not the case?
Not to my understanding, it think that the rocket that fly with no spin are the best.

Website Link to a good page: http://txsnapper.eezway.org/powerdeployment/
smolblob

Post by smolblob »

It depends on the rocket, but what I've observed at competitions is that rockets with spin tend to have a sLiGhtly faster (albeit very pretty) descent. try to focus more on descending drag, I guess.
carmel valley middle school!

part-time tiktaalik
ento is my lasaga
kendreaditya

Post by kendreaditya »

smolblob wrote:It depends on the rocket, but what I've observed at competitions is that rockets with spin tend to have a sLiGhtly faster (albeit very pretty) descent. try to focus more on descending drag, I guess.
That is correct

Return to “Bottle Rocket B”