Bottle Rocket B

Zioly
Division: B
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by Zioly »

abby1kanobe wrote:After 2016 and the addition of the egg the times dropped off. In 2015 the gold medal winners were 50.18 seconds combined and to medal in 6th it took a 42.19. Dropping to a 1l bottle and no other changes my best guess would be around a 14-15 second rocket at 60psi would put you in a competitive place nationally. Im sure someone will still break 20 seconds though. Happens every year!
But keep in mind it was really windy 2015. The results could've been skewed. :D

Also, 2016 6th place got a total of 31? I didn't realize that it'd be so low!
jgrischow1
State: OH

Post by jgrischow1 »

Question about launchers...

We are using the Aquapod from Amazon which has worked reasonably well. This is our third year using it and I think the nozzle has slightly worn thinner over the past two years due to repeated launches as our rockets are now leaking, even with new o-rings. The o-ring with which it comes is 9/16 in inner diameter, 11/16 outer diameter, and 1/16 thickness, I believe. Brand new ones don't cut it; it still leaks. However, the next size up (I have checked Lowe's, Home Depot, Menards, and Ace) is 9/16 ID, 3/4 OD, and 3/32 thickness and it's too big and the bottle won't fit. Unless there is some mythical 9/16 ID, 23/32 OD, 5/64 thickness o-ring about which I don't know (I checked online as well, but feel free to prove me wrong), I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions? Or do we just have to buy a new launcher?
reed303

Post by reed303 »

jgrischow1 wrote:Question about launchers...

We are using the Aquapod from Amazon which has worked reasonably well. This is our third year using it and I think the nozzle has slightly worn thinner over the past two years due to repeated launches as our rockets are now leaking, even with new o-rings. The o-ring with which it comes is 9/16 in inner diameter, 11/16 outer diameter, and 1/16 thickness, I believe. Brand new ones don't cut it; it still leaks. However, the next size up (I have checked Lowe's, Home Depot, Menards, and Ace) is 9/16 ID, 3/4 OD, and 3/32 thickness and it's too big and the bottle won't fit. Unless there is some mythical 9/16 ID, 23/32 OD, 5/64 thickness o-ring about which I don't know (I checked online as well, but feel free to prove me wrong), I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions? Or do we just have to buy a new launcher?
O-rings with those dimensions are available from McMaster-Carr
$2.97 for pack of 100 Item # 94115K015
https://www.mcmaster.com/
Div B Asst Coach 2012-2021
jgrischow1

Post by jgrischow1 »

reed303 wrote:

Thanks; what I meant to say is that 9/16-11/16-1/16 are too small and 9/16-3/4-3/32 are too big and I need 9/16-23/32-5/64.
reed303

Post by reed303 »

jgrischow1 wrote:
reed303 wrote:

Thanks; what I meant to say is that 9/16-11/16-1/16 are too small and 9/16-3/4-3/32 are too big and I need 9/16-23/32-5/64.
Mc-M also has metric sizes. Check to see if anything is close. https://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=15wu54i
Div B Asst Coach 2012-2021
jgrischow1

Post by jgrischow1 »

reed303 wrote:
jgrischow1 wrote:
reed303 wrote:

Mc-M also has metric sizes. Check to see if anything is close. https://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=15wu54i
Will do, thank you.
sciolyohio

Post by sciolyohio »

bernard wrote:
Zioly wrote:
bernard wrote: Perhaps there's some substance I could apply to the outside of the egg to make it stronger.
Ah! I see. Thank you for the response, Bernard. That really helped! I had never even thought of using anything to make the egg's shell sturdier. From this, I assume using tape to help the egg avoid any impact force would be legal, if the tape does not directly adhere to the egg, yes?
That sounds reasonable.
wouldn't that substance be adhering the egg?
Sasstiel
State: IL

Post by Sasstiel »

Are we allowed to line the inside with bubble wrap or something similar?
DFTBA!
Exp Des, Wind, Food, and Bottle
royT
State: CA

1 litre bottles

Post by royT »

Can anyone clarify the bottle that must be used. The rules say 1L carbonated bottle, however coke etc. seem to come in 1.25L bottles. I have found 1L bottles for tonic water and club soda, are these the bottles that should be used?
Also, is a 1L water bottle acceptable or must the bottle be from a carbonated drink?
Thanks
chalker
Division: Grad

Re: 1 litre bottles

Post by chalker »

royT wrote:Can anyone clarify the bottle that must be used. The rules say 1L carbonated bottle, however coke etc. seem to come in 1.25L bottles. I have found 1L bottles for tonic water and club soda, are these the bottles that should be used?
Also, is a 1L water bottle acceptable or must the bottle be from a carbonated drink?
Thanks
As you stated, the rules say a 1L carbonated bottle. 1L Carbonated. Bottle. It's pretty simple.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Return to “Bottle Rocket B”