kendreaditya
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by kendreaditya »

Zioly wrote:
kendreaditya wrote:Last years highest times were 50 seconds. How in the world did they get that! Some people are getting 20 seconds, how?
I'm assuming you mean how did people get 20 seconds per rocket last year? If not, correct me, and also if what you meant is that there are people achieving 20+ seconds this year... HOW? But to answer your assumed question, the nationals winning time was 20+ seconds. I believe the 6th place rockets got ~15 seconds per rocket... how do they achieve these remarkable times? Lots and lots of testing! :)

EDIT: @sciolyohio and kendreaditya and anyone who attended WSU invitational, how were the averages only 3-5 seconds!? Those times seem absurdly low. Was it something to do with the launcher, weather, etc?
I didn't go to WSU, my school Eagle View MS, went Rustin and Little Tiger. Rustin's highest times were a total of 18 seconds and Little Tiger was 19 seconds. However, I am achieving 20 seconds, by my egg is killing me (it breaks sometimes on pavement).
Zioly
Division: B
State: WA

Post by Zioly »

kendreaditya wrote:
Zioly wrote:
kendreaditya wrote:Last years highest times were 50 seconds. How in the world did they get that! Some people are getting 20 seconds, how?
I'm assuming you mean how did people get 20 seconds per rocket last year? If not, correct me, and also if what you meant is that there are people achieving 20+ seconds this year... HOW? But to answer your assumed question, the nationals winning time was 20+ seconds. I believe the 6th place rockets got ~15 seconds per rocket... how do they achieve these remarkable times? Lots and lots of testing! :)

EDIT: @sciolyohio and kendreaditya and anyone who attended WSU invitational, how were the averages only 3-5 seconds!? Those times seem absurdly low. Was it something to do with the launcher, weather, etc?
I didn't go to WSU, my school Eagle View MS, went Rustin and Little Tiger. Rustin's highest times were a total of 18 seconds and Little Tiger was 19 seconds. However, I am achieving 20 seconds, by my egg is killing me (it breaks sometimes on pavement).
Yeah, I'm getting 12/13 seconds consistently with my own launcher at 60 psi but at competition the most I've gotten is ~9 seconds. It's probably because I'm not using real eggs for testing though, so I'm making sure to do that for the future.

EDIT: 12/13 each
Bottle Rockets: 5th
Ecology: 9th
Hovercraft: 14th
Scrambler: 29th (with a failed run too  ;))
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology
Experimental Design (or other inquiry :P)

...Yes, my profile picture is G2 apEX at the PGL Major Qual.  :lol:
kendreaditya

Post by kendreaditya »

Zioly wrote:
kendreaditya wrote:
Zioly wrote:

Yeah, I'm getting 12/13 seconds consistently with my own launcher at 60 psi but at competition the most I've gotten is ~9 seconds. It's probably because I'm not using real eggs for testing though, so I'm making sure to do that for the future.

In order to get accurate tests i fill an ester egg with clay to make the weight around 50 grams.
Fanglin
State: CA

Post by Fanglin »

kendreaditya wrote:
Zioly wrote:
kendreaditya wrote:

In order to get accurate tests i fill an ester egg with clay to make the weight around 50 grams.
Use hardboiled eggs as a weight. Or, when we had a shortage, we would whittle down potatoes to the right weight.
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead
InDistress

Post by InDistress »

How do you cut carbon fiber??
DFTBA CVMS
freed2003

Post by freed2003 »

Try using wire cutters, or you could lay i out flat and use a x-acto knife
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
Zioly
State: WA

Post by Zioly »

I'm having some trouble getting my nosecone aligned straight with my pressure vessel. At the moment, I've tried to make it parallel with walls through measurements and through guess-and-check, but all to no avail. It bugs me, even though it doesn't seem to have a huge impact on flight times. Anyways, what're your solutions/ideas to get the nosecone aligned with the bottle?
Bottle Rockets: 5th
Ecology: 9th
Hovercraft: 14th
Scrambler: 29th (with a failed run too  ;))
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology
Experimental Design (or other inquiry :P)

...Yes, my profile picture is G2 apEX at the PGL Major Qual.  :lol:
kendreaditya

Post by kendreaditya »

Zioly wrote:I'm having some trouble getting my nosecone aligned straight with my pressure vessel. At the moment, I've tried to make it parallel with walls through measurements and through guess-and-check, but all to no avail. It bugs me, even though it doesn't seem to have a huge impact on flight times. Anyways, what're your solutions/ideas to get the nosecone aligned with the bottle?
It depends what type of nosecone you are using. For the t8 tubes what I did in previous years was insert a bottle cap into the tube an glue it in there. As a result, you would be able to screw on the tube to a bottle. The other cone nosecone is a little different so all I do is "eye" the rocket from a long distance.

edit: P.S getting the nosecone aligned straight with the pressure vessel is very important due to the direct effect it has on the height of your rocket.
Last edited by kendreaditya on April 19th, 2017, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kendreaditya

Post by kendreaditya »

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the curve of the fin (its cause by glue)?

Fanglin

Post by Fanglin »

kendreaditya wrote:Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the curve of the fin (its cause by glue)?

I don't see why you should be even using glue. You arn't allowed to use
glue directly on the bottle. If I were you, I would immediatly switch to packaging tape for you're entire rocket.
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead

Return to “Bottle Rocket B”